Best iPhone Game Updates: 'Fire Emblem Heroes', 'Galaga Wars', 'Pokemon: Magikarp Jump',...

TouchArcade

iPhone Gaming
iPhone Gaming
Hello everyone, and welcome to the week! It's time once again for our look back at the noteworthy updates of the last seven days. I'm noticing a couple of trends lately. One, there are tons of 64-bit updates coming in. Two, that work must be keeping people busy because we're seeing very little else. I've done my best to find some goodies this week anyway. Of course, you can keep an eye out for updates yourself using AppShopper Social [
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
], the watchlist in the TouchArcade App [
], or by participating in the TouchArcade forums, but this weekly summary is here to fill in the things you might have missed. Let's dig in!

One of the cool things about Galaga Wars is in how it lets you use ships from various Namco shoot-em-ups. Well, if you can afford them, anyway. The latest addition to the line-up is the Red Baron from Sky Kid. It's certainly different from the others we've seen so far. You can buy it for $3.99 via IAP. This update also adds an extra incentive for collecting ships, giving you an extra life and reduced upgrade costs for each ship you own. They've also made it so that every pre-Sky Kid ship can be bought with credits, giving you a route that doesn't involve paying real money. Finally, relative touch has been added as an optional control method.

I've already gone into detail on this update in a dedicated article, but the highlights include allowing you keep more teams saved, a new gameplay mode that challenges you to beat a series of battles without healing in between, an extra Paralogue chapter, and more. There's also a new Summoning Focus and a special login bonus running at the moment. Additionally, some excellent improvements have been made to the UI in accordance with player requests.

Making custom characters in games is fun, but the more limited the options are, the less fun it can be. Dan The Man has a new update that addresses the lack of dress options in the game, adding a ton of new outfits and such for you to make use of. That should give you the flexibility to create far more individualized looks than the rather sparse previous selection allowed. This update also includes various tweaks and bug fixes.

The 32-bit Appocalypse is coming, but I guess we'll always have Jetpack Joyride. Oh, Barry Steakfries. Did you know that you would end up being the last of us? Anyway, pirate theme because why the heck not? This event features some island paradises to jet through, some hidden treasure and booty to find, and a couple of new rides: the Brazen Barnacle ship, and Monty the Macaw. Yar. Wait, is this because of Pirates of the Caribbean? Well, whatever. Yar.

Then there are updates like this one. Significant new content, but really hard to stretch out into a few sentences. Here's the lot: the Wheelchair Guy now has five new levels to play. But what do I write for the rest of this to make sure the formatting on the article doesn't break? It doesn't even say anything about bug fixes and improvements, for crying out loud. You have to give me something to work with here!

Good old Magikarp just keeps on jumping and dying. Anyway, this update adds the Heal League to the game, giving you some new challenges to leap over. There are also some new patterns of Magikarp to fish up. There are new events to uncover, and some new friendship items and decorations have been added to the shop. Get ready to open your wallet wide! Anyway, I love Magikarp so I'm giving his game this week's coveted UMMSMotW award. That's all there is to it.

Well, it's the usual business for an Angry Birds game update. There's a whole mess of new levels to play thanks to the addition of two new chapters titled Twin Beaks and Hog Warts. Really...really hitting a wide array of references there, friends. There are also some new hat sets, a new ancient card tier, and some new slingshot levels. Feats have been added in, giving you some nice rewards for attaining various achievements. This all seems fine enough.

It's June, which is the sixth month in the year. Puzzle & Dragons concerns two main topics, the titular puzzles and/or dragons. Six divided by two is three. The latest update to Puzzle & Dragons implements a three-player co-op mode. It all adds up. And that's one way of padding out a paragraph, my dearest of friends.

This is one of the few active Gameloft titles that hasn't had a dopey subtitle affixed to its name. Yet. May I suggest 'wild racing excitement eSports game'? You can have that one, no cost. But, this update! My friends, it brings Porsche to the game. A lot of Porsche. Five Porsche cars, Porsche championships, Porsche special events, Porsche nachos, a tiny Porsche cocktail flag with an even tinier Porsche cocktail flag printed on it, and even Porsche prosciutto. Um, some of those things might not be in there for real, though. Active imagination and all that. One thing I'm not imagining is the improved UI, however.

It seems like the long national nightmare of Marvel fans is over. The X-Men are slowly making their way back into Marvel games, and this time it's Future Fight's turn. Wolverine, Jean Grey, Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, Beast, and Magneto all join the game in the new epic quest titled Rise of the X-Men. If you need more, well, there are two new uniforms for some non-mutant heroes. Crystal gets her Royal Suit, while Gwenpool can now get into her civvies with a Gwen Poole uniform. Still kind of reeling from the fact that Gwenpool was in a Marvel game ages before Wolverine was.

That about wraps it up for last week's significant updates. I'm sure I've missed some, though, so please feel free to comment below and let everyone know if you think something should be mentioned. As usual, major updates will likely get their own news stories throughout this week, and I'll be back next Monday to summarize and fill in the blanks. Have a great week!

Users who are viewing this thread