For some people, their phone is the only computer they need

Android Central

Android Central
Android Central
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

It's not as crazy as it sounds, thanks to the right apps and services ... and those gigantic displays.

I'm writing this blog post from my phone. Well, not completely from my phone as there's a bit of formatting needed that's just too difficult to do without a keyboard no matter how much Zanax there is in the world. But I've written enough of it to say that I did it from a phone and not feel like I'm bending the truth.

60 minutes of working from a phone and I call uncle. I'm not cut out for it.

Why I'm doing it from my phone is something I want to talk about this week because I just found someone who does the majority of their work from a
they got free from Verizon when they signed up for service. She's a bright senior in high school with a great future in front of her who doesn't feel the need to have any sort of "regular" computer at home because her phone does everything she needs it to do. Crazy, right? That's what I thought too until I found out she's on track to be the graduating class of 2019's Salutatorian. And she did all of her at-home work on a phone.

Samsung's Galaxy J7 isn't a terrible phone in the right hands.

Granted, the needs of a high school student are different from the needs of someone out of school and in the workforce, but when it comes to the paperwork I'd wager that it's more difficult and there is more of it when you're in school. I asked her to show me some of what she does and how she does it, and she uses the same apps and services that I use from my desktop or Chromebook; the difference is that she's doing it all in the palm of her hand.

I couldn't do it. And I think I know why — I was trained to bang keys and drone away in front of a monitor of one sort or another anytime I was tasked to get a thing done. I took typing classes, I learned how to use spreadsheets in consumer mathematics classes, and even English Literature assignments were all to be done in front of a computer. But that was years ago (in a galaxy far, far away) and today things might be different. Her teachers don't seem to care that she works from a phone and her grades tell the tale; she's definitely doing better in school than I ever did. Class Salutatorian I was not.

Phones have come a long way in a very short amount of time.

But that's only part of the story, because not too long ago, you just couldn't do any type of serious work, whether for school or a paycheck, from a smartphone. The keyboards sucked for the most part and the exception —
— had software that sucked when it came to anything more than email. That was a long time ago, too. The advent of Google Docs and Google Sheets and the great Android and iOS apps for them make doing productive things possible.

I'm confident that one day I'll be working for this young lady who is smart enough to do everything from her phone.

I've been trying to talk my soon-to-be Salutatorian friend into
, with no luck. And the more I think about it, I need to stop doing it. She obviously doesn't need one, possibly won't like one, and can save the money to buy something else she needs or wants, like a PlayStation or an even "better" phone. I can only imagine what she might do with a
or a
. She will probably be my boss one day. All she needs is something with a "nice big screen and somewhere to plug it in if it needs it."

So this experiment has taught me two things. She is much more prficent pgoficent proficient than I will ever be when it comes to typing on a phone keyboard and that smartphones, at least the right smartphone, is quickly becoming the only computer some folks will ever need. Good luck, Cee-cee, I can't wait to listen to your speech come June. Something tells me you'll be writing it on your phone.

What about you? Anyone else out there use their phone as their only way to work? If so, jump into the comments and lets us know the hows and whys. I for one would love to hear them!

TI1kB3421Yk

Users who are viewing this thread