Have a OnePlus phone? Here's what's new with your latest update.
OxygenOS is the software that powers OnePlus phones, and even if you're not enrolled in the Open Beta, it's still frequently updated with new features and bug fixes to keep an eye out for.
It can be tough to keep track of what's new, so we'll be updating this guide with each new OxygenOS update that's rolled out.
December 25, 2018 — OnePlus 5 and 5T get Android Pie with OxygenOS 9.0.0 update
It wouldn't be Christmas without some pie, and OnePlus is serving up a slice of the latest Android goodness with the
The OnePlus 5 and 5T have been testing Pie the last two weeks via the
- Updated system to Android™ 9 Pie™
- Brand new UI for Android Pie
- Brand new navigation gestures (Available for OnePlus 5T only)
- Updated Android security patch to 2018.12
- Other new features and system improvements
- New Gaming mode 3.0
- Added text notification mode
- Added notification for 3rd party calls
- Do Not Disturb mode
- New Do Not Disturb (DND) mode with adjustable settings
- Integrated Google Lens mode
November 3, 2018 — OnePlus 6 gets Nightscape, Studio Lighting, and new navigation gestures with OxygenOS 9.0.2 update via OTA
Just days after the
- Brand new navigation gestures
- Improved UI for About phone
- Optimized standby power consumption
- Updated Android security patch to 2018.11
- Added support to launch Google Assistant or other third party assistant app by holding the power button for 0.5 seconds
- General bug fixes and improvements
- Added Nightscape
- Added Studio Lighting to enhance face contour
Can we take a moment to appreciate how quickly this came? OnePlus 6T and its sweet new camera features get announced Monday, OnePlus 6 Open Beta users get OnePlus 6T software enhancements Tuesday, and not even 72 hours later, OnePlus 6 stable channel users get them, too! Older models getting software improvements seen on newer models isn't uncommon, but seeing them less than a week after they're announced is kind of amazing, and I wish more smartphone makers would be this expedient in sharing new toys with old and new phones alike.
Of course, it helps that the OnePlus 6 and 6T are very, very similar phones.
September 23, 2018 — OnePlus Switch gets big update ahead of OnePlus 6T event
If you're going to update your device transfer application, right before you launch a new phone that uses will be upgrading to sounds like the perfect time. OnePlus is gearing up for the launch of the
- Support migrate launcher, wallpapers, and arrange of application
- Support manual connection to mobile hotspots
- Support backup application data
- Compatible with more Android models
In addition to application data, downloads, contacts, call/SMS backups, and so much more, OnePlus Switch will be able to transfer your wallpaper to your new phone and your default launcher selection. If you used
August 22, 2018 — August security patch and Project Treble come to the OnePlus 5 and 5T
OnePlus has started pushing the
- Updated Android security patch to August 2018
- Confirm lock screen PIN without tapping the checkmark (Settings -> Security and lock screen -> Screen lock-> PIN)
However, thanks to
Project Treble previously came to these phones as part of the OyxgenOS Open Beta back in early July, so it's exciting to see that OnePlus is now bringing this feature to the official public build of the OS.
Google designed Project Treble to make it easier for OEMs to update their phones to new Android versions, and should everything go as we hope, this will allow the 5 and 5T to be updated to Android 9 Pie in a timely manner.
August 15, 2018 — OnePlus 6 gets better HDR camera performance and a fix for screen flickering
For one thing, this new software further improves the HDR mode for the OP6's already great camera. Along with this, there's also a fix for a screen flickering issue that various owners have been complaining about.
Other goodies included with this update are:
- Optimizations for network connections
- Better stability for Wi-Fi connections
- Confirm your lock screen PIN without tapping the checkmark (Settings -> Security and lock -> PIN)
- General bug fixes and improvements
The OnePlus 5 and 5T are getting a new OTA update to
First off, you'll find a new feature in the battery settings called Sleep Standby Optimizations. Once turned on, your 5/5T will learn your sleeping patterns and turn off network usage when it detects you're catching some zzz's. Right before your wake up, your network access will be re-enabled so you don't miss out on emails, Twitter mentions, or other notifications you got while asleep. OnePlus says this helps to reduce battery usage throughout the night and can be enabled by going to Settings -> Battery -> Battery optimization -> Advanced optimization -> Sleep standby optimization.
Along with this, you'll also find improved photo clarity with the camera, support for group text messaging, the July 2018 Android security patch, and general bug fixes with the Gallery app.
July 20, 2018 — OnePlus 3/3T get July 2018 security patch with OxygenOS 5.0.4
Have a OnePlus 3 or 3T? You should be getting an OTA update soon that updates it to OxygenOS 5.0.4.
This is a pretty
You'll also find bug fixes for a parallel WhatsApp crash issue and problems users have had when zooming in with the front camera in Snapchat.
This update is rolling out to all OnePlus 3/3T owners now, and if you have the phone but it's enrolled in the Open Beta, OnePlus says it'll update the download link once the global rollout is finished so you can switch back to a stable build now that the beta program has ended for the two older phones.
July 17, 2018 — OxygenOS 5.1.9 brings better dynamic range to OnePlus 6 camera, Google Lens integration
OnePlus is starting to roll out OxygenOS 5.1.9 build, with the update focusing on the OnePlus 6's camera. The update will bring improvements to the autofocus and edge detection in portrait mode, as well as further enhancements to image clarity and dynamic range.
Additionally, the update will also bring Google Lens integration to the OnePlus camera app, allowing users to scan QR codes and get information about real-world objects. OnePlus says Google Lens will be making its way to the OnePlus 5 and 5T in addition to the OnePlus 6.
The update should be rolling out to select regions starting later today, and will be available more widely from July 20.
June 18, 2018 — OxygenOS 5.1.7 and 5.1.8 bring bootloader fixes
OnePlus is rolling out the OxygenOS 5.1.7 build, which includes the usual bug fixes and stability improvements along with a fix for the bootloader vulnerability that was discovered a few days ago. The build also includes fixes for scheduled DND settings.
The OxygenOS 5.1.7 build won't be making its way to Indian users, and OnePlus is instead rolling out the 5.1.8 build, which offers the same fixes as the global build. The 5.1.8 build also includes system and network stability fixes, and features optimizations to the call quality.
June 8, 2018 — OnePlus 6 gets Portrait Mode for the front-facing camera and scheduled Do Not Disturb
There are two big updates to the camera situation, including a Portrait Mode for the front-facing camera and a Light Bokeh effect that can now be used with the rear camera.
Also included with this update is the ability to schedule Do Not Disturb to turn on at set times and dates. Additionally, you can create your own custom rules for DND to make it work just the way you want.
Other improvements with 5.1.6 include:
- Battery percentage can be seen in the status bar
- Improvements for sound quality and volume with ringtones
- A dual 4G option now available in SIM & network settings
- Stability improvements for dual SIM cards
- Idea VoLTE now working in India
- Optimized call clarity
- Added smart answer for Bluetooth - automatically answer incoming calls when connecting to Bluetooth devices
- Optimized power consumption and Improved system stability
OxygenOS 5.1.2 adds a few smaller fixes/features as well, including:
- Fixed auto-rotation stability issue
- Fixed Wi-Fi connection issue
- Fixed microphone not functioning issue for AKG earphones
- Added double-tap to lock screen
- Gallery app updated with Places (map view of where your photos were taken) and a Recently Deleted folder.
This is the same technology introduced on the
- Android security patch updated to May 2018
- Refined UI for the Shelf
- New app shortcuts design
- More options when long-pressing an app icon
- OnePlus Gallery gets Places menu, ability to share photos to Shot-On-OnePlus, and Recently Deleted collection
- Large Files category in File Manager
- OnePlus Weather app gets new widget, improved positioning accuracy, and refresh interval setting
OnePlus just opened sales for the
This isn't a particularly big update, but two notable additions include the May 2018 Android security patch and a super slow motion mode for the camera that records video in 720p at 480 FPS and 1080p at 240 FPS.
Other goodies include:
- Preloaded OnePlus Switch app
- Toggle for showing/hiding the display notch
- Quick capture when the camera's in portrait mode
- More actions for recently deleted files