'Pocket Mortys' Preview - I Chose YOU Lightning Rodent Morty!

TouchArcade

iPhone Gaming
iPhone Gaming
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
I just got my hands on Adult Swim's new Rick and Morty game, Pocket Mortys. In
our own Carter "The Crater, 3.5 full-width-image" Dotson says it's a Pokemon like game and while that's true, you won't be missing any of that humor that mixes fart jokes with quantum paradoxes. I jumped at the chance to play and so far I have not been disappointed or surprised to see that just like most of their offerings, Adult Swim has infused this app with the trappings and atmosphere that translate so well from the source material.

So like any respectable pokemon clone, you go out and collect monsters, except not monsters, Mortys. There are many Ricks and many Mortys, all from different universes and as the ONE TRUE RICK(probably not but that's what protagonist Rick thinks anyway) your goal is to capture and train the strongest and best Mortys. Rather than use an entire chart of elements, it looks like most Mortys will be one of the old tried and true Rock, Paper, Scissors categories. While this may disturb the monster capture game purists out there, this game seems to be set up primarily as fan service to the Rick and Morty show. The show doesn't really have a ton of lukewarm viewers, either you love or hate it and that's probably going to heavily inform your initial opinion of this game too. So from here on out, I'll just assume you love the show as much as I do(really, if you haven't seen it you owe it to yourself).

At the moment, I don't see any in app purchases. You can do opt-in video ad viewing for the in game currency, Schmeckles. You can expect to see a Fallout Shelter[
] -like pay structure emerge from the game at some point, but just the fact that I don't even have the option unlocked yet to view their IAP should be a testament to their decision to keep it understated and pretty discreet.

For the uninitiated, Let me take just a moment to give a brief plot synopsis of the show. Rick is Mortys mad scientist grandfather who is wildly irresponsible and not a horrible person mainly because things happen to work out for him. Morty is the straight man of this comedic duo, providing a voice of reason and generally getting dragged into horrible situations. Actually, I just stumbled across an image that encapsulates the over-arcing plot of R&M pretty well:

The game seems to be working off of some plot devices introduced in the second season of R&M so chances are decent we may see some original plot development further into the game. Now that I have given you fans out there a few tidbits to drool over, I need to get back and train my Mortys to be the best Mortys there ever were. Watch out for our review coming soon after the release of Pocket Mortys next week!

Users who are viewing this thread