SwitchArcade Round-Up: ‘Brief Battles’, ‘Ubermosh: Omega’, and Today’s Other New Releases, the Latest Sales Featuring ‘Celeste’ and More

TouchArcade

iPhone Gaming
iPhone Gaming
Hello gentle readers, and welcome to the SwitchArcade Round-Up for February 21st, 2020. It’s another huge day for new releases today, and that’s where we’ll be spending the bulk of today’s article. I’ve also got a nice big list of sales for you to check out in case none of the latest games catch your fancy. One way or another, our wallets aren’t getting out of here alive! Let’s take a flying leap!

New Releases

Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai Story ($29.99)

katanakamisamuraistory.jpg

SwitchArcade Highlight!

I maintain that Acquire’s Way of the Samurai series was way ahead of its time. It was basically a roguelite take on classic samurai adventures, with lots of branching choices and an emphasis on replays. The series kind of fell off before the recent roguelite surge, but there seems to be a little life left in it. Here we have a spin-off that takes the form of a top-down dungeon crawler of sorts. There are some elements from the main Way of the Samurai games in here, but don’t come in expecting a similar experience. I wish I could say that it’s an awesome game but it’s more of a decent one that benefits from an unusual theme.

Brief Battles ($14.99)

briefbattles.jpg

SwitchArcade Highlight!

Hey hey, it’s another wacky party game for up to four players. There are a lot of these now, but I suspect people who have regular gatherings churn through them fast enough to make it worth continuing to pump them out. This one is something of a battle game where you have to grab super-powered underpants to give yourself the edge over your foes. There are six different characters, fifty different arenas, and lots of different types of underpants with different powers. You can play solo if you want to, but I don’t really think the game is worth playing if you don’t have people you can play with regularly. If you do, though? Yeah, this is really fun.

King Lucas ($4.99)

kinglucas.jpg

This rather slow-paced action-platformer sees you making your way through a massive castle in search of lost princesses. Every room is loaded up with traps, hazards, and enemies. Jump and fight your way through all of them and you may find a happy ending, at least temporarily. I’m not sure of any nice way of saying this, but King Lucas feels a bit like an old computer platformer like Spelunker got mashed up with a dollar-store version of Rogue Legacy. The price is certainly reasonable, but I can’t see a ton of people getting into this one in any case.

Ubermosh: Omega ($4.99)

ubermoshomega.jpg

Uhh, I honestly don’t know what to make of this one. It’s a top-down twin-stick shooter, which we all surely have played plenty of by now. Its visuals are utterly garish, and the music is wild metal stuff. The game just sort of dumps you at a character select and after picking one you try to last as long as you can, trying to rack up as high a score as possible in the time limit. You’re then dumped back to the character select screen, where you can see your best score and rank for each character. The characters have very different abilities, so you’ll want to try them all to see which one works best for you. Bewildering stuff, but I’m intrigued enough that I think I’ll be doing a review of this one.

Fishing Adventure ($9.99)

fishingadventure.jpg

I agree, screenshot: this is pretty bleak. Another fishing game from Ultimate Games, and it’s not much different or better than the last one. More than thirty species of fish, seven different locations, quests and tournaments, and real fishing equipment. There are definitely better fishing games to play on your Switch, and even if they are a bit more expensive, you’re better off paying the extra cost for the substantial leap in quality. I’d imagine this will go on sale for a buck at some point down the road if you want to see for yourself.

Tower of Babel – No Mercy ($9.99)

towerofbabelnomercy.jpg

Yes, it’s a wacky party game for up to four players. Another one! Is this genre the new Metroidvania? Maybe, friends. Anyway, this is a tower-building game where you have to drop chunks of buildings and hope the physics don’t bring everything crashing to the ground. Build towers together with friends and try to mess each other up using magic spells and such. Who can build the biggest tower without messing up? In a bit of a change from usual for this kind of thing, you can indeed play the multiplayer mode online here. I would say that would alleviate the pressure of having local buddies to play with, but you know how much of a ghost town the Switch’s online services can be. Setting all that aside, it’s alright.

Dark Tower RPG: Dungeon Puzzle ($5.00)

darktowerrpgdungeonpuzzle.jpg

As you can probably tell from the screenshot, this is a port of a mobile game. A free-to-play game, to be precise. So if you’re wondering how it is, you can go download it and give it a try. That’s what I did! And you know, it’s not as bad as I was expecting. It very much leans into the puzzle aspects, as without careful key management you can and will get stuck. In that way, it reminds me of some games I used to play on my dear old Commodore 64. Not much to look at and it’s definitely not going to be to everyone’s tastes, but those who enjoy lock-and-key puzzles might find it somewhat amusing.

Ego Protocol: Remastered ($4.99)

egoprotocolremastered.jpg

This is an odd little puzzle platformer. There are 60 levels to go through, with unique stage mechanics introduced over the course of the game. Basically, you have to manipulate the stages by moving chunks of them around in order to open the way forward. Then you just platform your way through. Clever idea, decent execution, nice price. It reminds me of the kind of cool platform game we used to see pop up now and then on the App Store. I don’t think you’re missing out on a lot if you skip it, but it’s amusing enough to give an evening over to if you’re looking for something to do.

Last Encounter ($14.99)

lastencounter.jpg

Space-themed twin-stick roguelite alert! It’s time for another one of those games that the Switch has so very many of already. One quirk in this one is that you need to search for keys in each level to warp to the next one. You’ll fight some bosses now and then, but otherwise it’s more or less the usual business. Randomized level designs, new goodies that unlock over time, all that stuff. It’s decent enough, especially if you like stuff like Enter the Gungeon, but people who are feeling a bit burnt out on these kinds of games aren’t going to have their minds changed by this one.

Knightin’+ ($5.99)

knightinplus.jpg

Yeah, I dig this a bit. Basically, you’ve got four dungeons of Zelda-lite dungeon fun. Everything is a bit janky and it’s not kidding about being a lighter take on most of the components it’s borrowing, but for the price it’s amusing enough. Just good stupid fun that you’ll probably play once or twice for a few hours and then forget about completely. I wish the collision detection were a bit tighter and hits had more impact, but it is what it is. If you’re okay with that stuff, you may want to consider picking up Knightin’+. Or you could just play a Zelda game again. I’m sure you own a few. It’s up to you.

Ciel Fledge: A Daughter-Raising Simulator ($19.99)

cielfledgeadaughterraisingsimulator.jpg

Taking aim at the whole Princess Maker concept, Ciel Fledge benefits from having more modern designs and, unlike the version of Princess Maker on Switch, generally readable writing. And that’s important because you’re going to be dealing with a lot of text here. You’ll have to manage your daughter’s life and try to guide her towards a good adult life. There are lots of different ways things can end up based on your decisions, which gives the game a good bit of replay value. I liked Princess Maker well enough back in the day, but something about Ciel Fledge just doesn’t quite do it for me. Still, it’s not like we’re swimming in life sims these days, so if you like that genre you may want to give this a go in spite of its rougher edges.

Blood Breed ($5.99)

bloodbreed.jpg

Whoa, is it finally time to cash in on nostalgia for early 32-bit games? Blood Breed is a horror game with a vintage look to it. The premise is also quite classic, with your character being the victim of a broken-down car who ends up trapped in a mysterious place with a killer on the loose. It kind of reminds me of the many B-tier knock-offs of Resident Evil that sprung up back in the late 1990s. I have no idea whether it’s good or not, but keeping the price in mind it’s hard to criticize the effort here.

Otherworldly ($6.99)

otherworldly.jpg

Ooh, spooky first-person dungeon crawler. I think the idea here is that you have to navigate the mazes and collect all of the gold you can find while avoiding enemies. You seemingly have no means of fighting back, so if anything dangerous comes near you have to hide. Once you’ve collected the treasures, you have to make your way to the exit. It looks pretty flimsy, to be honest, and given the general quality of this publisher’s previous releases, I can’t imagine this being terribly enthralling.

Escape First ($4.99)

escapefirst.jpg

If you like escape rooms, this one has three of them. Are they good ones? I’m not a great judge of that, I’m afraid. There’s a circus with a psychotic clown, a room with a big red button where a murder seems to have taken place, and a really weird sci-fi one that involves time compression shenanigans. That’s an interesting cross-section of themes, at the very least. And I suppose it is only five dollars. Definitely not my kind of thing, but if you enjoy this type of affair you may want to take a gamble on it.

The Adventures of 00 Dilly ($14.99)

theadventuresof00dilly.jpg

It’s a silly physics game. You launch an old crash test dummy (no, not Brad Roberts) across the Grand Canyon and try to see how far you can get it to go. There are twelve levels and three bonus levels. There are various items and launchers you can earn. Avoid bears, get help from goats, and see how high of a score you can get. It’s short, only marginally amusing, and probably not something you’d want to spend much time or energy on. Certainly not for fifteen bucks, at the very least.

Sales

(North American eShop, US Prices)

Lots of new sales today, though not so many as we often see on this day of the week. Some great games in here like Celeste, TowerFall, Graceful Explosion Machine, and Gunman Clive HD Collection. Check the list out with care, or head on over to the outbox and chew on those outgoing Activision sales. Plenty of good stuff either way you go, friends.

Select New Games on Sale

celeste-1.jpg

Celeste ($6.79 from $19.99 until 2/26)
TowerFall ($6.79 from $19.99 until 2/26)
Graceful Explosion Machine ($6.49 from $12.99 until 2/27)
Vaccine ($4.99 from $9.99 until 3/5)
Lichtspeer: Double Speer ($2.99 from $9.99 until 2/27)
Butcher ($2.99 from $9.99 until 2/27)
Farming Simulator ($14.99 from $29.99 until 3/9)
Gorogoa ($7.49 from $14.99 until 2/27)
Brawlout ($7.99 from $19.99 until 3/11)
The Escapists: Complete ($5.09 from $14.99 until 3/1)
The Escapists 2 ($6.79 from $19.99 until 3/1)
AeternoBlade ($4.49 from $14.99 until 2/29)
Wanderjahr ($2.99 from $9.99 until 2/29)
Spy Chameleon ($3.99 from $7.99 until 3/5)
Masters of Anima ($4.99 from $19.99 until 3/9)

regalia.jpg

Regalia: Of Men and Monarchs ($7.49 from $24.99 until 2/27)
Ice Cream Surfer ($0.80 from $8.00 until 3/5)
Gone Home ($7.49 from $14.99 until 2/27)
Legendary Fishing ($4.99 from $29.99 until 2/25)
Six Sides of the World ($1.00 from $10.00 until 3/5)
Joggernauts ($3.74 from $14.99 until 3/5)
Friday the 13th: Killer Puzzle ($4.99 from $19.99 until 2/27)
Timber Tennis: Versus ($0.59 from $1.99 until 2/27)
Double Cross ($4.99 from $19.99 until 3/5)
Gunman Clive HD Collection ($3.39 from $3.99 until 3/5)
Crazy Strike Bowling EX ($2.99 from $9.99 until 2/29)
Fight of Gods ($6.49 from $12.99 until 3/1)
Doodle God: Evolution ($4.49 from $9.99 until 3/11)
My Memory of Us ($5.99 from $14.99 until 2/27)
Piczle Colors ($6.00 from $12.00 until 3/5)

thekingsbird.jpg

The King’s Bird ($4.99 from $19.99 until 3/5)
Cinders ($5.99 from $19.99 until 2/27)
Mechstermination Force ($10.19 from $11.99 until 3/5)
HexaGravity ($0.99 from $1.99 until 2/27)
Darkwood ($9.74 from $14.99 until 2/27)
Hyperlight Ultimate ($1.24 from $4.99 until 3/8)
Rise: Race The Future ($12.36 from $16.49 until 3/5)
Invisigun Reloaded ($4.99 from $19.99 until 3/6)
Galaxy Champions TV ($1.95 from $6.99 until 2/27)
Call of Cthulhu ($26.79 from $39.99 until 3/9)
Vampyr ($33.49 from $49.99 until 3/9)
Farming Simulator 20 ($33.74 from $44.99 until 3/9)
Ashen ($31.99 from $39.99 until 2/27)
Corridor Z ($7.19 from $7.99 until 2/27)
Katana Kami ($26.99 from $29.99 until 2/28)

linesxl.jpg

Lines XL ($0.99 from $1.99 until 3/10)
Sudoku Relax 4 Winter Snow ($4.50 from $5.00 until 3/11)
Heaven Dust ($6.79 from $7.99 until 3/11)
SeaBed ($17.99 from $19.99 until 3/11)
Death Squared ($1.49 from $14.99 until 3/2)
Miles & Kilo ($1.59 from $7.99 until 3/12)
Demetrios ($2.99 from $9.99 until 3/6)
Xenon Valkyrie+ ($4.99 from $9.99 until 3/6)
OTTTD ($0.79 from $7.99 until 3/2)
Uncharted Tides: Port Royal ($8.99 from $14.99 until 3/2)
Murder by Numbers ($13.49 from $14.99 until 3/12)

Sales Ending This Weekend

battleship.jpg

Battleship ($3.99 from $19.99 until 2/22)
Clue: The Classic Mystery Game ($14.99 from $29.99 until 2/22)
Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy ($19.99 from $39.99 until 2/22)
Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled ($23.99 from $39.99 until 2/22)
Diablo III: Eternal Collection ($39.99 from $59.99 until 2/22)
DreamWorks Dragons ($9.99 from $39.99 until 2/22)
Spartan ($1.99 from $3.99 until 2/22)
Spyro Reignited Trilogy ($19.99 from $39.99 until 2/22)
Alteric ($1.99 from $4.99 until 2/23)
Deep Ones ($1.99 from $4.99 until 2/23)
Energy Balance ($1.01 from $2.99 until 2/23)
Energy Cycle ($1.01 from $2.99 until 2/23)
Goat Simulator: The GOATY ($7.49 from $29.99 until 2/23)
Horror Pinball Bundle ($4.49 from $8.99 until 2/23)
Metropolis: Lux Obscura ($3.99 from $7.99 until 2/23)
Modern Tales: Age of Invention ($7.49 from $14.99 until 2/23)
North ($1.49 from $2.99 until 2/23)
Spiral Splatter ($2.49 from $4.99 until 2/23)
Zero Zero Zero Zero ($3.99 from $4.99 until 2/23)

That’s it for today and this week, friends. There are plenty of awesome games waiting for us next week, including Two Point Hospital, Samurai Shodown, the Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection, Rune Factory 4 Special, the Metro Redux games, and oh so many more. We’ll be looking at all of those next week, worry not. I hope you all have an outstanding weekend, and as always, thanks for reading!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Users who are viewing this thread