The Best iOS Games of the Year Are ‘Hyper Light Drifter’ and ‘Sky: Children of the Light’ According to Apple

TouchArcade

iPhone Gaming
iPhone Gaming
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
Apple has just revealed the top apps and games across iOS, macOS, and tvOS for 2019 as
for the first week of December each year. Apple also discussed some of the gaming trends from the year. This year’s top iOS choices are both fantastic games.
from thatgamecompany isn’t a surprise winner and it is Apple’s best iPhone game of 2019. This year also saw
from thatgamecompany hit iOS thanks to Annapurna Interactive but Sky plays and feels a lot better on iOS compared to Journey. It has been
with new content and features since launch. Sky was in development for a long time but the wait was worth it. It will hit other platforms in 2020. Watch the trailer for Sky below:

On the iPad side of things, Apple selected Hyper Light Drifter
as the iPad Game of the Year. If you haven’t played Hyper Light Drifter yet, it is basically like a blend of The Legend of Zelda with pixel art that rivals
. I
earlier this year from Abylight and it is fantastic. The iOS port has all the content from the Nintendo Switch version as well making it one of the best versions of Hyper Light Drifter out there. Watch the trailer below:

launched this year as well bringing some fantastic premium games to iOS, macOS, and Apple TV through a monthly subscription. While Apple Arcade already has loads of great games, my favourite is
from Simogo and Annapurna Interactive. Apple selected it as the Apple Arcade Game of the Year. Read my review of Sayonara Wild Hearts
. Watch the trailer for it below:

Barring iOS, Apple selected the awesome
from Nomada Studio and Devolver Digital as its Mac Game of the Year. GRIS is amazing regardless of platform but it shines best on larger screens. Check out my review of the iOS port
. For tvOS, Apple selected Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap
which is a superb remake of the classic game with gorgeous visuals and a great new soundtrack.
even has a retro toggle option available for the old school look and feel if you’d prefer that. Read my review of the iOS version

The gaming trend of the year for Apple is “Blockbusters reborn" with various big name brands getting adapted to mobile platforms in unique experiences.
and more are featured here. What do you think of Apple’s end of year top games?

Update: Added Apple Arcade Game of the Year.

Users who are viewing this thread