These are the best replacement SSDs for your PS4

Android Central

Android Central
Android Central
So you have decided that you have got to throw a new SSD in your PlayStation 4. You read our
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, and you have your heart set on a solid state drive to replace the stock PS4 drive. Here are some of the best options available to you.

500GB SSD's

Solid state drives are cheaper than they used to be, but they still land on the pricey side when compared to their mechanical drive brethren. If you want SSD speeds but aren't horribly concerned about having a ton of space, you might want to consider a 500 GB drive.

Good speed, decent price

Crucial MX500

crucial-500.jpg

This Crucial drive will get you into SSD speeds while not breaking the bank. In addition, if anything goes wrong with it, you are supported by a 5-year manufacturer warranty.

Better speed, decent price

Samsung 860 Evo

sam500.jpg

The Samsung Evo drive is about $20 more than the Crucial drive but offers slightly faster advertised write speeds. Just like the Crucial, you will have a 5 year manufacturer warranty.

1TB SSD's

If you need an SSD and you want to have a good amount of storage space, then a 1TB drive may be the place to start. 1TB drives are of course going to be more expensive than their 500GB counterparts but the increase in price is going to give you space for a lot more games.

1TB at a great price

Mushkin Reactor

reactortb.jpg

When it comes to bang for your buck in the world of 1TB solid state drives, you can't do much better than this Mushkin Reactor drive. For less than $100 more than the previously mentioned SSD's, you will have a lot more room to spread out.

1TB still low priced

Western Digital Blue

western.jpg

If you want a 1TB SSD at a great price but you would rather stick with a more recognizable name, consider this Western Digital drive. You will have loads of space for storage with a 5 year manufacturer warranty.

The compromise

If you're looking at all these SSD prices and getting overwhelmed, I don't blame you. Solid state storage is still pretty expensive. If you still want to see an increase in speed on your PS4 but you want to save some bucks, there is another option.

2TB of hybrid storage

Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD

seasshd.jpg

SSHD stands for Solid State Hybrid Drive. The elevator pitch for drives like this is that you will see SSD speeds with traditional drive prices. This claim is somewhat dubious, and I probably wouldn't put one in my PC and expect the same performance as an SSD. That being said, I would totally put one in my PlayStation. Upgrading from the stock PS4 drive to a hybrid drive like this one should show a marked increase in speed at a reasonable price point.

No matter how you get the job done, expanding the storage in your PlayStation is a really nice quality of life upgrade. I know that once I expanded my storage space and got to stop worrying about what to delete next, my PS4 experience got just a little more enjoyable.

iJ2UD4h4I_Y

Users who are viewing this thread