TouchArcade Game of the Week: ‘Galaxy Stack’

TouchArcade

iPhone Gaming
iPhone Gaming
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
The idea behind the
is that every Friday afternoon we post the one game that came out this week that we think is worth giving a special nod to. Now, before anyone goes over-thinking this, it doesn’t necessarily mean our Game of the Week pick is the highest scoring game in a review, the game with the best graphics, or really any other quantifiable “best" thing. Instead, it’s more just us picking out the single game out of the week’s releases that we think is the most noteworthy, surprising, interesting, or really any other hard to describe quality that makes it worth having if you were just going to pick up one.

These picks might be controversial, and that’s OK. If you disagree with what we’ve chosen, let’s try to use the comments of these articles to have conversations about what game is your game of the week and why.

Without further ado…

Sometimes you can take two genres and mash them together into something new and wonderful. It doesn’t always work out, and I’ve played more than my fair share of genre mashups that totally flopped, but every once in a while one will come along that feels just perfect. That’s exactly how I feel about Galaxy Stack
from developer Retrosaur and Crescent Moon Games. I’ve always felt that vertical shooters are a perfect fit for mobile, as they control well on the touchscreen and are inherently well-suited to one-handed portrait play. And you could say the same thing about those block-stacking tower-building games that we’ve been playing on mobile for years. Mash those two things together? That’s Galaxy Stack.

It’s almost absurd how simple the concept is. You’ll blast down enemies that approach from the top of the screen, and those destroyed ships where fall down and begin to stack up. You need to avoid enemy fire as well as the falling ships and try to build up your tower of fallen enemies as high as you can. At certain height thresholds you’ll square off against a boss and as you defeat the game’s various bosses you’ll unlock different playable ships, each with their own unique offensive attacks. Galaxy Stack isn’t much more than a solid high score chaser, but it’s so mechanically sound and so well suited for mobile play (not to mention that it’s a paid game with no IAP shenanigans) that it’s the game I’ve been coming back to over and over this week.

Users who are viewing this thread