Galaxy S10 has a frustrating bug that’s killing battery life

SamMobile

SamMobile
SamMobile
No smartphone launch would be complete without some initial teething issues, and in the case of the
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
that’s a rather frustrating bug that results in Tap to Wake activating when it’s not supposed to, like when the handset is in a bag or a pocket — but it seems to be isolated to the US.

“I have an S10, and I keep my phone in my pocket with the screen towards my leg (since my leg is far less likely to damage the screen),”
one Galaxy S10 owner on Reddit. “The only issue with this is that I started feeling the “fingerprint rejected” vibrations while the phone was in my pocket.”

“First thing I did was activate tap to wake, I have never seen this in a Samsung phone before. Now I have the newest that Samsung has to offer and it does not work properly,”
another on Samsung’s US Community Forum. “My leg through my fabric taps the phone and opens it up.”

The issue results in consistent battery drain as the screen is waking up more than it should be. In some instances, Tape to Wake is also triggering the camera, which uses up even more juice as a host of sensors are subsequently activated as the handset thinks it’s operating in low-light conditions.

Samsung’s advice? Disable Tap to Wake and the Always-On Display. But that’s far from good enough — when you’re shelling out around $1000 for a product, it should work as intended. You shouldn’t have to disable a feature, or two, to help it last an entire day on a single charge.

The issue doesn’t appear to be affecting everyone. Almost all the reports we uncovered were from customers in the US with either a Galaxy S10 or
, indicating that the bug is an issue with the region’s firmware. If that’s the case, Samsung should be able to fix it by a software update.

Does your Galaxy S10 wake up in your pocket?
  • No, it's functioning as should be
  • Yes, and I'm based elsewhere
  • Yes, and I'm based in the US

Poll Options are limited because JavaScript is disabled in your browser.

• Model: SM-G973F
  • Dimensions: 70.4 x 149.9 x 7.8mm
  • Display: 6.1"(157.5mm) Super AMOLED
  • CPU: Exynos 9820 Octa
  • Camera: 12 MP.CMOS F2.4 45° Telephoto & 12MP F1.5 77° & 16MP F2.2 123° Ultra-wide

• Model: SM-G975F
  • Dimensions: 74.1 x 157.6 x 7.8mm
  • Display: 6.4"(162.5mm) Super AMOLED
  • CPU: Exynos 9820 Octa
  • Camera: 12 MP.CMOS F2.4 45° Telephoto & 12MP F1.5/F2.4 77° & 16MP F2.2 123° Ultra-wide

The post
appeared first on

Users who are viewing this thread