Samsung’s product naming has a grammar problem

SamMobile

SamMobile
SamMobile
I'm a big fan of Samsung using proper nouns to label most of its home electronics. For instance, PC monitors names are no longer just a string of seemingly random letters and numbers. Instead, they belong to lineups named ‘Odyssey' or ‘ViewFinity.' It makes Samsung look better instead of coming across as a company that churns out soulless products one after another.

But as much as Samsung's brand image strategy may have improved, one thing still bugs me to this day is that Samsung turned the ‘the' determiner into a proper noun for many of its so-called ‘Lifestyle' products.

Examples include product lineups like The Frame, The Serif, The Sero, The Terrace, The Freestyle, and The Premiere. And that's not all.

Samsung is showing signs of inconsistency again​

Frankly, these brand names are annoying to write about, but even if that's not a concern, it's irritating to see that Samsung has once again become inconsistent with its naming scheme.

Samsung
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
smart speaker at CES 2024 in Las Vegas. Notice I said ‘the' instead of ‘The' Music Frame, and that's because, officially, Samsung's smart speaker dropped the determiner as a proper noun. It is simply called ‘Music Frame.'

So then, you'd think that Samsung is ready to adjust its naming strategy and drop the ‘The.' But that doesn't seem to be the case. As Samsung was demoing the Music Frame speaker at CES, it was also showing off a new 2024 model of The Frame — the TV that inspired the company to create the Music Frame speaker in the first place. And, surprise! The TV is called ‘Samsung The Frame' instead of ‘Samsung Frame.'

And with these two new products revealed, Samsung appears to have slipped into inconsistency again. Music Frame and The Frame are essentially parts of the same family of products, but they don't follow the same naming strategy. Otherwise, Samsung Music Frame would have been labeled ‘Samsung The Music Frame.' Or, even better, Samsung The Frame would have been renamed to Samsung Frame in 2024.

I'm hoping that the Music Frame speaker is a sign of things to come, and perhaps, in 2025, Samsung will rethink its naming strategy to match its smart speaker. But you never know with Samsung, so time will tell.

The post
appeared first on

Users who are viewing this thread