Talking about everything Android adjacent

Android Central

Android Central
Android Central
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

There's a lot more to Android than the OS.

The launch of the
was significant for two reasons. First and foremost, this phone was weird because it was Google's effort "against" Apple and their iPhone and somehow it might actually compete well. Second, and in my mind the most important, Android was positioned from day one as a platform where third-party apps could be submitted and people could choose whatever apps they wanted. It took Apple a little while to catch on, but in the next revision of iOS they did.

Now, apps are everything and everything has an app. The second part of that sentence is significant, because it's a big part of what I am passionate about. Android phones are exciting to me because they are pocket-sized hubs to everything, and I'm going to spend a lot of time talking about that experience.

You may have noticed recently that we started talking a
here at AC. It's a decision that came with some obvious feedback — what does this have to do with Android? PlayStation has just as much to do with Android as
, or
— there's an app that improves the overall experience for those who use Android. Instead of limiting the conversation to the app, we're going to talk about the whole product. If something has a fantastic Android app but is a
, the glowing review that follows does everyone a disservice.

This isn't going to detract from our normal Android coverage.

We're not so much changing our existing editorial focus as we are more clearly defining it. The
doesn't run Android, but those who use Android can benefit from its existence. If something Android adjacent is a great product with a great app, we're going to talk about the whole product. That includes the drone you clip onto paper airplanes so they can fly farther, the Sous Vide cooker that updates you with notifications, all things Amazon Echo, some
, and occasionally some cool things you can do with your PlayStation.

This isn't going to detract from our normal Android coverage, but it's something we're going to have some fun with. We're not going to fill the homepage with tutorials on how to fix a stuck button on your connected scale, but we are going to let you know what we think after using it. Here's hoping you're ready to have some fun with us!

qNewRwp4v7g

Users who are viewing this thread