The 10 Best Nintendo Switch Indie Games of All-Time – SwitchArcade Special

TouchArcade

iPhone Gaming
iPhone Gaming
After Shaun’s look at the
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
with a cameo from yours truly, I’ve done a round-up with our picks for the best Switch indie games of all time. Many years ago, the best console for indie games was the PS Vita, and that audience and the developers found their footing on the Switch since, with it not only getting tons of indies and indie exclusives, but also because it was the best way to play most indies on console. It was really difficult picking just 10 games for this because of the sheer breath of indies that are amazing on Switch, but that’s what I’ve gone ahead and done with a bit of help from Shaun. I’ve avoided including any game I don’t consider worth full price on Switch. This list is in no particular order, and I hope you find something you haven’t played before.

VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action ($14.99)

va11halla-cyberpunk-bartender-action-best-switch-indies-of-all-time-list.jpg

VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action isn’t just one of my favorite indie games of all time on Switch, but one of my all-time favorite games. Having first experienced it on Steam, I’ve replayed it through every single port, but the Switch version is easily my favorite with its touchscreen support and rumble. VA-11 Hall-A is also a game I replay every year around Christmas, and I adore the characters, aesthetic, music, and narrative. Go ahead and mix drinks and then change some lives.

Hades ($24.99)

hades-best-switch-indies-of-all-time-list.jpg

Few tales are told of Hades, but many articles are written featuring Hades on TouchArcade. Supergiant Games’ rogue-like dungeon crawler is a master-piece with its sublime gameplay, strong narrative, stunning visuals, and amazing soundtrack. It is one of the best “one more run" games out there, and while the Switch port is a bit lacking in performance later on, having cross save with Steam and it being the only console with that feature makes it worth playing over the others.

Celeste ($19.99)

celeste-best-switch-indies-of-all-time-list.jpg

Initially, Celeste felt like the true follow-up to Super Meat Boy I always wanted, but it ended up being so much more when I finally finished it. It has a lovely story, amazing music, some of the best platforming gameplay ever, and is perfect on Switch. It also excels in its accessibility options making it even easier to recommend to those new to the genre. Celeste and the game below are releases I don’t think will ever be topped by their respective developers.

Stardew Valley ($14.99)

stardew-valley-best-switch-indies-of-all-time-list.jpg

Stardew Valley is the gift that keeps on giving. It debuted many years ago and took the world by storm delivering a content packed life simulation game with stunning pixel graphics and memorable characters. Since hitting Switch, it ended up consuming too much of my time, and I keep going back to that version and the mobile version as my goto ways to play this amazing game. Developer ConcernedApe just pushed out a huge content update on PC which will hit consoles in the future, but Stardew Valley has been worth its asking price from day one. These updates are just icing on the cake.

Cuphead ($19.99)

cuphead-best-switch-indies-of-all-time-list.jpg

I adored Cuphead on Xbox years ago and seeing it get a perfect port to Switch was awesome. The challenging run and gun action game with a focus on boss battles and its 1930s cartoon aesthetic all come together with one of the best soundtracks in many years to deliver something special. I liked Cuphead enough to buy the Western and Japanese physical releases despite getting it digitally and finishing it on Switch. This one is challenging, but is just incredible to play on the go on Switch.

DUSK ($19.99)

dusk-switch-best-indie-game-of-all-time-boomer-shooter.jpg

DUSK might surprise some folks with its inclusion here, but I’ve featured it for a few reasons. Not only does DUSK have one of the best Switch ports of a PC game we’ve seen, but it is one of the best shooters ever with its level design, visuals, and Andrew Hulshult’s soundtrack. My only complaint about DUSK on Switch is that
is taking too long to bring its other amazing games to the platform. Yes, that isn’t a knock on DUSK, but come on and get me AMID EVIL on Switch please. If you enjoy boomer shooters or are just curious what a boomer shooter is, DUSK is for you. In fact if you just like good games, DUSK is for you.

Meg’s Monster ($14.99)

megs-monster-best-switch-indies-of-all-time-list.jpg

Meg’s Monster is a fantastic narrative experience. While it’s not the most mechanically rich RPG around, it’s not really trying to be. It’s here to tell a story, and it does so wonderfully. The characters are memorable, the plot is engaging, the presentation is sublime, and it’s on the whole just a hard thing to dislike at all. I haven’t been on an emotional roller coaster like this one in a while, and I’d handily recommend it to anyone looking for a touching story to play. – Shaun Musgrave

Dredge ($24.99)

dredge-best-switch-indies-of-all-time-list.jpg

I first played Dredge from Black Salt Games on Steam Deck, but have been revisiting it and the DLC on Switch recently. The single-player fishing adventure game feels like it brings in the bits of Disco Elysium I love in addition to having great fishing gameplay that is always a plus in my book. Dredge perfectly suits handheld play, and I recommend trying out the demo on Switch if you aren’t sold on it. Dredge is special, and might be my favorite Team17 published game alongside Overcooked.

Neon White ($24.99)

neon-white-best-switch-indies-of-all-time-list.jpg

When thinking about indie games on Switch, Annapurna Interactive is the first name that comes to my mind, and Neon White is the publisher’s best Switch game yet. The Angel Matrix developed single-player speedrun FPS has stunning visuals, great characters, incredible music from Machine Girl, and it is the perfect pick up and play experience for your Switch. I really hope we see more from this team in the future, but I will always love my time with Neon White on Switch. Revisiting it over the last few weeks just makes me want to play it all the way from start to finish again.

Hollow Knight ($15)

hollow-knight-best-switch-indies-of-all-time-list.jpg

Silksong when? Well, before Silksong, Hollow Knight itself is worth your time as one of the best metroidvania games ever despite being a bit too long in parts. Hollow Knight on Switch has all the content updates and is a very polished experience to play on the go. In a lot of ways it feels like the biggest game in the genre, and has incredible designs and music. I’m going to go and replay it right now and try and hunt down that physical release.

Every game included here I can safely recommend at full price. I consider them the best of the best on Switch, but I’m sure anyone reading will have another suggestion or two. If you think I missed something you really like, let us know in the comments below. Hopefully you find something you end up playing and enjoying from this feature on the best Switch indies of all-time. As usual, thanks for reading.

Users who are viewing this thread