The Best Switch Indie Games in 2022 – SwitchArcade Special

TouchArcade

iPhone Gaming
iPhone Gaming
It is time for another SwitchArcade Special Edition. After covering loads of genres and games over the years including retro collections, ports, new games, JRPGs, and much more, it is time to look at the most interesting of the lot for me: indie games. It feels like every few years, indie games find a new home to flourish on. Right now, that is definitely both Nintendo Switch and PC. With so many superb games on Nintendo’s hybrid system, I’ve narrowed this list down to just 10 covering new and older games. These are what I consider the best indie games on the platform. I would’ve been able to put together a list of the top 50 given the quality of releases, but here are the best Switch indie games to play in 2022.

Best Switch indie games for 2022

VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action ($14.99)

Sukeban Games VA-11 Hall-A is a game I go back to every year. I’ve played it on all platforms, but it is best on Switch. The blend of visual novel storytelling, mixing drinks, superb music, amazing characters, and more makes this an easy recommendation. It has multiple endings as well, but you’re really playing this to soak in the atmosphere, get to know the characters, and listen to the music. On Switch, VA-11 Hall-A even supports touch controls in handheld mode. It also shines on the OLED model display. The low asking price is absolutely worth it, and nothing has come close to VA-11 Hall-A in the genre so far.

Cuphead ($19.99)

Cuphead is a run and gun shooter with a 1930’s cartoon aesthetic that feels and looks amazing on Nintendo Switch. It is very challenging, but never unfair with its many boss battles, superlative soundtrack, and precise controls. While the base game itself was underpriced, the bundle with The Delicious Last Course DLC is an even better deal. This is definitely one of the greatest indies ever, and it is perfect on Switch as long as you’re ok with a challenging game.

Streets of Rage 4 ($24.99)

It is rare to see modern entries in classic franchises shine as much as Streets of Rage 4 did when it launched on consoles and PC. I consider it the best beat ’em up of all time when accompanied by its DLC. It can be as accessible or challenging as you want, and it feels great to play both solo and in multiplayer online with friends. This is a game you want on your Switch to boot up for a quick runthrough whenever. It is an essential.

Baba Is You ($14.99)

Baba Is You is one of the best puzzle games ever, and it perfectly suits the pickup and play nature of the Switch. Baba Is You is worth having so you can quickly get a puzzle or two attempts in as you slowly progress through the many dozens of hours of quality puzzle action included here. It is rare to see a game do so much with such a simple concept, but Baba Is You is that and more. If you enjoy puzzle games, this is an essential.

Tetris Effect: Connected ($39.99)

Improving on Tetris is hard, but over the last few years we’ve had two instances of just that. Tetris 99 and Tetris Effect are my favorite ways to play Tetris, and the latter is an experience for the senses. The visuals and audio complement the core Tetris experience in ways I didn’t think were possible. Tetris Effect also has multiplayer that works great with an active community across platforms with cross play included. If you enjoy music-focused games and like Tetris, you should already have Tetris Effect. If not, fix it now.

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin ($29.99)

There are many simulation games on Switch, but few have the attention to detail of Sakuna. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin blends a side-scrolling action game with deep rice simulation. It is shocking how good it looks and feels with such a small team that worked on the game. The 3D simulation gameplay is shockingly in-depth with a story inspired by Japanese mythology. While Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin was excellent at launch, it improved quite a bit with quality of life enhancements and balance adjustments making it even better.

A Monster’s Expedition ($19.99)

Originally available on Apple Arcade, A Monster’s Expedition on Nintendo Switch is magnificent. The island-based structure perfectly suits itself to portable play with its interconnected nature letting you chip into puzzles on the go. With all the content from prior versions of the game, support for button and touch controls, nice rumble feedback, and more, A Monster’s Expedition is one of my favorite puzzlers ever, and a joy to play on Switch. If you’ve wanted a relaxing and well-designed puzzle game on Switch, look no further.

Into the Breach ($14.99)

Into the Breach is Subset Games’ best release yet. That isn’t something I say lightly given the studio’s debut title was the brilliant FTL. Into the Breach brings chess, mechs, and more together for a tightly designed experience that can be accessible while remaining challenging. Every run teaches you more, and the game got supercharged recently with the Advanced Edition update. On Nintendo Switch, Into the Breach has button and touch controls with great HD rumble support. Just like many games on this list, Into the Breach is an absolute steal at its asking price.

TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge ($24.99)

Yes, I know what you’re thinking. I chose to include both Streets of Rage 4 and TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge here. They both accomplish similar things for their source material or franchise, and they do a damn fine job in their own way. TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge is my favorite TMNT game ever, and it feels brilliant to play across its roster of characters on Switch. If you enjoyed older TMNT games and beat ’em ups, this is a dream come true. TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge is an essential just like Streets of Rage 4 for any Switch owner.

The House in Fata Morgana ($39.99)

The House in Fata Morgana: Dreams of the Revenants Edition from NOVECT has one of the best stories in gaming. Unlike Ace Attorney or Danganronpa that blend in visual novel style storytelling with adventure gameplay, The House in Fata Morgana is a pure visual novel. The gothic aesthetic is also brilliant here. While The House in Fata Morgana is available on other platforms, the Switch version brings all the features from the PS4 version to a portable for the first time. If you’ve ever wanted to experience a pure visual novel with a story that will stick with you for years, The House in Fata Morgana is perfect for you. The soundtrack is also worth checking out alongside the game.

Interested in more lists? Check out our other Nintendo Switch recommendations!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Users who are viewing this thread