Best iPhone Game Updates: 'Pocket Build', 'Jetpack Joyride', 'Cooking Dash', 'Shadow Fight...

TouchArcade

iPhone Gaming
iPhone Gaming
Hello everyone, and welcome to the week! It's time once again for our look back at the noteworthy updates of the last seven days. So, this was a bit of a quiet week in terms of updates. It's almost as though game developers were busy with some sort of stuff the last several days or something. Anyway, I tried to find some interesting updates, and I think we've got an okay batch here. Of course, you can keep an eye out for updates yourself using
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
or by participating in the TouchArcade forums. This weekly summary is just here to fill you in on the things you might have missed. Let's dig in!

Halfbrick isn't in very good condition these days. The company has stated that it's going to focus on its successful legacy titles rather than make a lot of new things, and I suppose that's good news for Jetpack Joyride. First up is an Easter event that has you collecting eggs to collect special Easter-related prizes. The Lil Chomper vehicle has a new robot rabbit skin if you want to see it looking its most festive. And yes, there are some holiday sales with a few special limited-time IAPs.

A new mode is available for Rules of Survival's Fearless Fiord map. It's called Blitzkrieg mode, and you have to play in Solo mode to access it. Blitzkrieg focuses on shorter rounds with a maximum of 40 players per round. The rest of the improvements in this update focus on optimizations and adjustments to various aspects. UI adjustments, memory optimizations, attempts to improve the matching algorithm, blah blah... you all know how this goes. But hey, when they're pumping out weekly updates, they probably can't be expected to deliver a full bag of excitement each go around.

See, here's why we can't complain about updates with optimizations and improvements, friends. Because another way frequent updates can work is by just pumping out nondescript level packs on a consistent basis. This is how King does their thing, and if nothing else, fans of their games can look forward to regular bundles of new levels to bang their heads against. In this game's case, it means 15 new levels to try out. If you're at the point where you need new levels, anyway.

Pocket Build keeps on building itself up, which is kind of meta if you think about it hard enough. Probably. I'm not going to do that, because I don't feel like giving myself a headache. This update has a bunch of cool things to improve your building experience. First, there is now a day and night mode. Well, technically the night thing is the new bit. And with that comes lights, camp fires, and fire lamps to keep things bright after the ball of fire in the sky escapes. Apart from that, we've got flags, some new grass, and extra options like a new world generator and an option to rotate existing buildings. It's a nice update and I think I'm going to give it the coveted UMMSotW award for this week.

For those who like boxing with shadows, Shadow Fight 3 is probably a neat game. If you're deep into the game, you've probably been waiting for the newest chapter to hit. Well, it's here! Good job on the waiting, friend. You can now enjoy 15 new main quests, 36 types of ranged weapons, new bosses, a whole mess of new side quests, 12 new equipment sets, some new locations, and new shadow abilities. Wowza, that's a lot of new stuff. Some of it is dependent on the choices you've made so far, so hopefully you didn't make Morrigan angry or whatever.

Love it or hate it, Marvel Future Fight is a game that certainly exists. Hey, new characters! New X-Men characters! First up is Colossus, and I'm sitting here wondering how Piotr wasn't in there already. How did people do Fastball Specials before now? Joining him is his sister Illyana, better known as Magik, founding X-Man Angel, and sometimes-hero, sometimes-villain, always-icy Emma Frost. There are also some new uniforms for Cyclops and Wolverine, giving them their Marvel Now and All-New Marvel Now appearances. Those would be two of the roughly sixteen-billion soft reboots Marvel has done in recent years in the comics.

These kids are always on the move, and this time the Subway Surfers are off to Iceland. Head through ice caves and volcanoes, add new surfer Bjarki to your crew, unlock a fisher outfit for your new friend, and collect hidden Easter eggs while you try to earn cool rewards like the Big Blue whale board. Bjarki seems like the chillest person ever. I would like to hang with Bjarki. Even in the fisher outfit. Scratch that: especially in the fisher outfit. Please add Bjarki to the icon, Kiloo.

The Simpsons: Tapped Out has a new event running, and all I can do is sit here and wonder how late to the party the app is going to be in taking advantage of the extreme popularity of the brief Steamed Hams meme that was going around a month or so ago. It's not in this one, by the way. This event is focused on a different sort of delightfully devilish scheme. Everyone is doing heists, and that means some of Springfield's beloved criminals get to get in on the fun. This looks like a pretty huge event, so uh, best of luck if you're playing this game.

Although I firmly believe every cooking game should play out like the cooking show stage from Parappa the Rapper, it appears that I am virtually alone in that stance. Cooking Dash does not play out like the cooking show stage from Parappa the Rapper. I view it as an abomination as a result, but I suppose lots of people out there like this one. The new update adds 60 new levels with a theme park food twist, having you make such American classics as Deep-Fried Cookies, Funnel Cakes, Fried Chocolate Dipped Pig Grease Candy, and other things that I'm most likely making up at this point. Enjoy?

That about wraps it up for last week's significant updates. I'm sure I've missed some, though, so please feel free to comment below and let everyone know if you think something should be mentioned. As usual, major updates will likely get their own news stories throughout this week, and I'll be back next Monday to summarize and fill in the blanks. Have a great week!

Users who are viewing this thread