Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster – We Compare PC, Switch, Steam Deck, Mobile, PS5, and More

TouchArcade

iPhone Gaming
iPhone Gaming
Wait Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series again? What month is it? Well, this is a feature I’ve had ready since last month when I played the new console versions of Square Enix’s classics. I held off on publishing it on release because I wanted to wait for two potential things. The first was whether Square Enix would patch the new content and features into the mobile and PC versions. That hasn’t happened, and it is over a month since the console versions launched. The second thing I was waiting for, is to see if the PS4 and Nintendo Switch versions of the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series would see any post-launch updates to address my issues (which I will get to in a bit). That hasn’t happened either. So without going off on another tangent, this Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster comparison aims to help you decide which platform is the best version specifically for you. I will compare features, performance, convenience, price, and more here.

final-fantasy-pixel-remaster-series-all-platforms-compared.png

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series explained

If you’re completely new to the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series, it brought the first six Final Fantasy mainline games to iOS, Android, and Steam. These releases aimed to bring the gorgeous pixel aesthetic of the original games to modern displays with quality of life improvements, new arranged music, and more. The classic Final Fantasy games have hit mobile and some have even been on PC before, but we’ve never had 2D versions of Final Fantasy III or Final Fantasy IV on mobile or PC before and PC never saw any version of the first two main games before this set of releases.

When the games were brought over to console, Square Enix released them last month on PS4 and Nintendo Switch. I played the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series on my PS5 through backward compatibility and also my Nintendo Switch OLED model and Switch Lite. The new console version arrived with a pixel font option, the ability to use the original soundtrack in addition to the new arrangements, many difficulty modifiers, and more.

Make sure to read Shaun’s review of the complete Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster collection on Switch
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
. You can also read his detailed reviews of the individual games. Check out his review of Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster here, Final Fantasy 2 Pixel Remaster here, Final Fantasy 3 Pixel Remaster here, Final Fantasy 4 Pixel Remaster here, Final Fantasy 5 Pixel Remaster here, and Final Fantasy 6 Pixel Remaster here on iOS. He also did a special RPG Reload on them
. Now let’s get into the comparisons.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster features by platform

Following the launch on mobile and PC, Square Enix patched some of the issues on those platforms, but the main issues relating to the font and scrolling were never addressed on either platform. Mobile on the other hand is yet to get controller support. While the PC version’s font can be manually fixed through the game’s own files, this isn’t possible on iOS.

These difficulty modifiers or boost options on console let you adjust a few gameplay elements like experience from 0 to 4x, turn off random encounters, and more. As of this writing, nothing concrete has been announced for mobile and PC to get these features.

ff-pixel-remaster-review-switch-features-comparison-vs-ps5-2.jpeg

The new option to let PlayStation and Switch owners use the original soundtrack means the in-game music player on those versions lets you listen to both the new arrangements for the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster and the original soundtrack. The PS4 version includes trophy support as well with each game having its own platinum trophy if that matters to you. The PS4 and Switch versions also have the ability to skip some cut-scenes which cannot be skipped on PC and mobile version right now.

On paper, the console versions are easily the way to go for the new features and soundtrack option included, but what about performance and price?

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster price on Switch, PS4, PC, and mobile

All six games are available separately or in a Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster I – VI Bundle on iOS, Switch, PS4, and Steam. Buying the games individually ends up costing a lot more so keep that in mind before you make your purchase. You cannot upgrade to the bundle for a discount. Currently, the bundle is priced at approximately
, and
. There is no bundle for Google Play as of this writing.

ff-pixel-remaster-review-switch-features-comparison-vs-ps5-.jpeg

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster font – which version has the font fixed?

Unless you swap the Japanese and English fonts on PC or resort to modding, you are stuck with the ugly default font like the mobile versions. On PS4/PS5 and Nintendo Switch, you can use the new Pixel Font which isn’t perfect, but a massive improvement over the original font.

ff-pixel-remaster-review-switch-features-comparison-vs-ps5-5.jpeg

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster – visuals and performance

All versions look the same outside of the font options. Performance is where things differ. The Switch version and older mobile devices have similar additional stutter issues due to poor frame pacing. These are not present in the PC version, newer mobile devices, and the PS4 version in my testing. This isn’t a dealbreaker, but it is noticeable enough to annoy me until I got used to it in a few hours. Load times are also where things differ. PS4 on PS5 and PC on an SSD offer the fastest loading. Switch is slower than most mobile devices as well here.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster – controller support

The PS4, Switch, and Steam versions of the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster games have controller support. The iOS and Android versions currently lack controller support. Hopefully the mobile versions get patched with controller support in the future.

finalfantasyvipixelremaster.jpg

Is Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster best on PS5 or PC

In its current state, only the PC and PS4 version played on PS5 offer the smoothest experience, and even they have the same scrolling issues. With the additional features and soundtrack option, the PS4 version on PS5 goes above the PC version as well making it the best version overall.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster – Steam Deck vs Nintendo Switch

The Switch version even with the performance issues is better than the Steam Deck version thanks to all the new features included. If these do come to the PC version or mobile releases, things will be different. Until then, Switch is the way to go for the best portable version of the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster physical release

If you, like me, enjoy owning physical games, the only version available is the Asia physical release on Switch. The North American and European PS4/Switch physicals are long sold out. I hope Square Enix re-releases the physical. Right now, the only way to get a physical release is the Asia Switch version.

ffpixelremasterfeat.jpg

Which version of Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster should you buy?

If you value portability above all, the Switch version is the way to go. Despite the judder issues that aren’t present on some other platforms, it offers the best value with it being playable on TV and in handheld mode while offering the most features. If you don’t care about portability, the PS4 version on PS5 is the best version of the game right now. If the new features for the console versions aren’t enough to convince you to play there, the best version is the PC version. Mobile lacks controller support even today making it hard to recommend over the others if you have access to other platforms.

If Square Enix patches the mobile and PC versions, I’ll update this feature. Right now, I’d recommend going for the PS4/PS5 or Switch versions.

Hopefully my Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster comparison helped you decide where to buy the newest release of the classic Final Fantasy games. I’m hoping Square Enix eventually patches PC and mobile to get the console-specific content and features, but until then, mobile and PC are lacking compared to the console versions.

Users who are viewing this thread