Get your first look at Nioh 2 in action as Team Ninja debuts new trailer

PlayStation

PlayStation
Hey fans, as promised I’m back to provide you guys with more information and insight into our much anticipated consumer demo headed full steam ahead for the Tokyo Game Show! To get your appetite started and give you a glimpse into what you can expect from the demo, we have also prepared a new trailer and a host of new information & visuals to commemorate the occasion.

There’s a lot to digest and I think it all looks quite compelling if I may say so myself. I certainly hope you’ll be just as excited by what you see as well. So, without further gloating from my end, let’s jump into some of the noteworthy highlights.

As you begin this adventure, we introduce you to a gorgeous new surrounding which we call “The Village of Cursed Blossoms”. This stage actually happens to be the opening level that you will embark on in Nioh 2 and as the name suggests, this habitat is an amalgamation of natural beauty and menacing peril. The theme of disparity plays a major role throughout Nioh 2. But, more on that later.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Going back to this beautiful opening stage, I do want to say that as developers creating a game founded on Japanese aesthetics, we’ve always hoped to design a level covered by cherry blossoms in full bloom. So, it brings us great joy and satisfaction to finally see it become a reality on this project. Lucky for us, a well known area for sakura trees called Chidorigafuchi is right in our backyard next to the Team NINJA studio! This benefit allowed us to refine our visuals with great detail and accuracy.

Many of you have come to realize that Yokai are the essential cornerstone of this franchise. And we take careful consideration when adding in these mythical creatures into the game. Our selection process for implementing Yokai into the experience goes far beyond simply choosing the most popular or well known versions. Instead, we meticulously select each creature based on their unique characteristics to properly compliment specific integrations. This approach ultimately ensures a wide range of variation and scope to the action. Which is super important in keeping you guys engaged and challenged at all times!

Speaking of Yokai, our latest demo features Mezuki- a terrifying beast adorned with a grotesque mug and wielding a deadly saw-like weapon. Its debut should make quite an impression with the players testing out their Yokai combat skills at the Tokyo Game Show. Word of advice for those looking to go toe-to-toe with Mezuki… when in the Dark Realm, ruthless Yokai turn even more fierce and powerful. So, tread carefully and strike effectively within the DR.

In addition, players will also encounter smaller creatures called Sudama (Sudama are actually Kodama that turned Yokai) in The Village of Cursed Blossoms. As in their former incarnation, they are not violent but they display an unrelenting thirst for material possession. To provide some perspective, the image of the background from our key art represents the contrast between the world of men and the realm of Yokai, which is a central theme played out in the game and also the motivation behind our new half-breed protagonist. Given the basis for this duality, the Sudama was created as an antithesis to the Kodama.

There’s so much more I’d like to share with you guys for Nioh 2, but I’ll save it for next time. As we prepare to finalize the game and set our sights on the launch in early 2020, I want to leave you with a special message from our producer, Yasuda-san.

Creative Director – Tom Lee

“Since receiving the many feedbacks from the closed alpha session, we have been diligently working on the game with great enthusiasm. To be honest, we’ve had to overcome many trials and errors during the process of designing Yokai action mechanics such as “special moves”, “Yokai moves” as well as the visual presentation of the “Dark Realm”. However, we are now quite satisfied with where we are at. It goes without saying that the improvements won’t stop until launch and we’ll continue to keep you updated with the progress. So be sure to stay tuned for more information in the coming months. Please enjoy the exciting new demo for TGS as well as the batch of new content we’ve prepared.”

Producer- Fumihiko Yasuda

The post
appeared first on

Users who are viewing this thread