iPhone 14 and 14 Plus hands-on: A bigger screen and small camera updates

Joystiq

Joystiq News
For the iPhone 14, Apple has decided to "go bigger." So instead of an iPhone 14 mini, this year we're seeing the iPhone 14 Plus take the smaller handset's place. The new 6.1-inch iPhone 14 is accompanied by the 6.7-inch Plus variant, with the company promising to deliver the best battery life on an iPhone. Though I can't verify that claim yet, I was able to spend some time with the new iPhone 14s at the Apple event. Though I miss the cute mini flagship, I can understand why the company opted for a larger phone.

Many reviewers like myself loved the small iPhone for its size, but lamented its short battery life. With a bigger frame, the iPhone 14 Plus should have room for a larger battery to last longer. Both the 6.1-inch and the 6.7-inch models also use the A15 Bionic chip found in the iPhone 13 Pro, and are generally not very different from the last generation.

In spite of its size, I liked that the iPhone 14 Plus felt lighter than the Pros, though. At 203 grams, it's lighter than the iPhone 14 Pro (206 grams) and the Pro Max, which is an absolute brick at 240 grams

The biggest difference here is that the rear camera has a larger 12-megapixel sensor and bigger 1.9-micron pixels. The front camera now offers autofocus for clearer selfies, and these were things that were hard to gauge at the crowded hands-on area. US models of the iPhone 14 will no longer have a physical SIM card slot, though this wasn't something I was very bothered by.

This story is developing, please refresh for updates.

Follow all of the news from Apple’s iPhone event
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Console Bang News!

Users who are viewing this thread