- Nov 30, 2015
Lenovo is preparing to launch its next major smartphone later this year in the U.S. In fact, Lenovo CEO Yuanqing Yang stated the phone, from its Motorola division, will be out sometime in July.
Yang revealed the news as part of a chat with The Wall Street Journal, but didn't offer much in the way of details:
Mr. Yang said he intends to leverage Lenovo's Motorola brand to penetrate the smartphone market in the U.S. The company is launching a "more innovative, more attractive" device in July aimed at U.S. consumers, he noted.
Yang also took a bit of a swipe at Apple during his chat:
Mr. Yang predicted that Apple Inc. has reached a ceiling in the U.S. market, while Android still has room for growth. "Apple already has more than 50% share in the U.S. Can you expect more? I don't think so," he said. "I think Android will take more share."
As previously reported, Motorola Mobility will remain as a division under Lenovo, but future smartphones will ditch the Motorola branding in favor of the Moto and Vibe brands.
Source: The Wal Street Journal