Ranking All of the SaGa Games on Mobile, Nintendo Switch, and Steam

TouchArcade

iPhone Gaming
iPhone Gaming
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
Okay, with the latest installment in the series newly released, it’s time to get down to brass tacks and talk some SaGa. One of Square Enix’s oldest and most eclectic franchises, it’s not an easy series to get into by any means. Even if you enjoy one, there’s no guarantee you’ll like the next. Basically, this is the Square Enix RPG series to get into if you’re tired of the usual fare and want something that will push you back just as much you push it. Often misunderstood and treated like something of a pariah at times, SaGa has recently been getting more respect. Almost the entire series is available on most modern platforms and I’m here to rank those games, from worst to best. Just my opinions, of course, and I encourage you to share yours in the comments below.

7. Romancing SaGa 3

romancingsaga3-3.jpg

I’m splitting some serious hairs at the lower end of this list, and in some sense it comes down to what you’re looking for in a game. In many ways, Romancing SaGa 3 is as conventional as the series gets. It’s also drop-dead gorgeous for a Super NES game, and this remaster juices it up nicely. At the same time, it’s so close to being a normal RPG that it doesn’t stand out as much compared to its peers. Worth playing? You bet, but if you’re looking into SaGa you’re probably looking for something weird, and it only gets weirder from here.

6. Collection of SaGa FF Legend

collectionofsagaffl.jpg

Odds are good that if you’ve played any SaGa games before, you unknowingly did so via the Final Fantasy Legend games on Nintendo’s Game Boy. This, as its title indicates, is a collection of the three games that kicked off the series. Final Fantasy Legend is pretty hard to get into these days unless you’re very patient, while Final Fantasy Legend II can be a bit crueler yet is somehow more palatable. Final Fantasy Legend III is part of the series in name only, as it was done by an entirely different team and follows largely standard RPG rules. Good bang for your buck, but you almost need a little nostalgia working for you here.

5. Romancing SaGa 2

romancingsaga2.jpg

Romancing SaGa 2 is a very quirky game, but that’s exactly what makes it so endearing. This game is extremely non-linear, and it uses a system wherein you’ll have to hand down your kingdom through the generations. There’s a heavy strategy/simulation component to this game that you won’t find in any of the others, and it’s that aspect that is either going to win you over or turn you off. Those who are unafraid of putting in the time to experiment with this game will find an experience quite unlike any other Square Enix RPG.

4. SaGa Frontier Remastered

sagafrontierremastered.jpg

If this were a ranking of how good the games look, SaGa Frontier Remastered would be the clear winner. It looks gorgeous. It’s no slouch in the gameplay department either. Its episodic approach allows the game to experiment with more styles and themes, but it brings all of those different characters in satisfying ways. It’s another very non-linear affair, and a lot changes based on what you do when. This remaster is particularly cool as it adds an eighth scenario to the game that had to be cut from the original due to time constraints. A huge game with a lot of interesting elements to play around with.

3. Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song-

romancingsagams2.jpg

Another strong remaster that adds more story content and quality of life features, Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song- is a heavily improved version of what was already a fairly extensive remake. It’s also a really good place to start with the series if you’re looking to get into it, as it features most of the elements that bind this loose franchise of games together. This was originally a PlayStation 2 game, and as such it’s probably the most traditionally impressive game in terms of presentation, but at its core it is very much a 16-bit adventure. While not without its complexities, this game is probably marginally easier to figure out than most of the other SaGa titles.

2. SaGa Emerald Beyond

sagaemeraldbeyond.jpg

The latest game in the series builds on the previous one while bringing in elements from older games, to great success. With multiple characters to play, tons of worlds to explore, and a story that unfolds more as you clear it again and again, SaGa Emerald Beyond is a gift that keeps on giving for fans of the series. It’s not quite the best, but it’s not far off from it, and it’s more than worth sinking huge amounts of time into. Another great RPG for RPG fans who enjoy complex mechanics and intriguing surprises.

1. SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions

sagascarletgraceambitions.jpg

The masterpiece of the SaGa series, though to be fair we in the West benefited from our first experience with it being via its improved Ambitions release. While at first it might seem a little too streamlined, it quickly unfolds into an impressively complex and enjoyable RPG experience. The combat system is excellent, the characters are interesting, the localization is top-notch, and slowly peeling back the layers of the onion is immensely satisfying. There are more approachable games in the series, but you should be able to sort out Scarlet Grace even if you opt to jump right to it. There are no wrong SaGa answers, but this is the one that feels the most right.

Those are my rankings of the SaGa games, but what are yours? Let us know your favorite SaGa games in the comments below, if you’re inclined to do so. To be honest, this was one of the more difficult rankings I’ve done due to how much I love all of these games. They can be very hard to compare because they all do their own things that I appreciate. I suppose if I had to sum things up, I would recommend trying any of the SaGa games that you think look neat. Be patient and take the game on its own terms. None of these games follow the rules of the genre, but that’s what makes them so fun. Thanks for reading!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Users who are viewing this thread