Rayman Origins veteran returns with 2D platformer Splasher, out on PS4 next week

PlayStation

PlayStation
Ok let’s make it simple: You know when you say your boss is a paint in the neck? (pun intended)… Well at INKORP the boss does villainous stuff like changing employees into potato monsters. So who best to defeat him than a young hero ‘chosen by destiny’. And guess what? In Splasher, you play this guy…

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Hi! I’m Romain Claude, former game designer at Ubisoft Montpellier, who worked on Rayman Origins and Legends. Four years ago I left the big industry to go indie and now here I am, announcing that my first game is coming to PS4.

It has been such a crazy obstacle course to make it happen. I can’t tell you how much I’m proud of it!

So what’s the baby about?

Splasher is a fast-paced 2D platformer in which you play a purple haired dude who rises against the authority of a massive paint factory named INKORP. Armed with your loyal paint cannon, you’ll face the many dangers of Inkorp in order to save your buddies from an ugly destiny. Trust me. You don’t want the below happening to you…

As you splash your way through the 22 levels, your cannon will grant you more and more abilities, such as sticking to walls, bouncing high in the air or even throw your dumb opponents into their own traps.

Your mission if you shall accept it : Put an end to the despicable projects of the weirdo CEO, a scientist known as “Le Docteur”, and rescue all the Splasher’s buddies.

From salary dev to indie dev: Splasher was born

The concept of Splasher popped up while I was prototyping random stuff back in 2013. Initially the idea was to reproduce my favourite gameplay styles for training purposes.

One day I created a surface painting system. Initially it was made to be… blood splatters (what a creative mind…). But I thought ‘why not turning it into something you can interact with’? A proper gameplay feature? So I started to think about paints with different physical properties depending on their colour, and of course I remembered another well-known game and its clever 3D puzzles using paints… You know, its name starts with a ‘P’ and ends with ‘rtal’. Well, I wanted those kind of mechanics but in a good ol’ 2D action platformer.

Boom! Splasher was born. Over the next 3 years I created all the game code and level designs, while my artist friend
(aka Gromy, the other half of the Splashteam) crafted all the graphics and animations.

No paint, no gain!

So in Splasher you jump (yep), but most of all YOU FIRE LIQUID PROJECTILES EVERYWHEEEEERE!!

Combining these different abilities with skill is the key:

Water allows you to perform primary actions, such as activate mechanisms with small treadmills, damage enemies and also collect ‘drop coins’ by cleaning golden dirt. Note that the drop coins are important to free the Golden Splasher at the end of each level.

Stickink makes you stick to surfaces so that you can move along walls and ceilings. Spider-Man would be jealous, trust me. You can also use Stickink to stick an enemy into a glue ball, preventing it from moving or killing you.

Bouncink makes you bounce very high from any paintable surface, be it the floor, wall, or ceiling. You can also fire Bouncink at enemies to push them into traps.

I designed each level to offer exciting moments through carefully balancing the game’s learning curves and its difficulty spikes. My intention is to make you feel like you can flow from the game’s beginning to its end. However, this does not mean that the game is easy, it just means that regardless of the difficulty, the game needs to be fair because I’m just a nice guy who wants you to be happy (well, almost until the end …).

See, this game is an iron hand in a velvet glove.

You dig speedrunning? You’ll be even more thrilled!

The game includes a Time Attack mode to challenge your skill in a level of your choice, plus multiple Speedrun modes that we have designed meticulously together with the leaders of a big French speedrun community, the “N.E.S.” : Nerd Entertainment System.

These guys know a lot about speedrunning and include former Rayman and Volgar the Viking world record holders. We have worked closely together to optimise our levels with their pro tips. As such, we developed 3 speedrun modes, each one offering different approach to speedrunning the game.

Oh and you know what happen this summer? One of our greatest french runners
even managed to bring the game at the last SGDQ (Summer Games Done Quick). That was an awesome moment and a good opportunity to showcase what Splasher looks like in the hands of a talented player!

Splasher is coming to PlayStation Store on 27th September. Get ready to splash some butts!

The post
appeared first on

Users who are viewing this thread