SwitchArcade Round-Up: ‘Endless Ocean Luminous’, ‘TriggerHeart EXELICA’, Plus Today’s Other Releases and Sales

TouchArcade

iPhone Gaming
iPhone Gaming
Hello gentle readers, and welcome to the SwitchArcade Round-Up for May 2nd, 2024. We’ve got a lovely Thursday platter full of new games to dig into today, including the latest release published by Nintendo: Endless Ocean Luminous. We summarize all the games worth summarizing, then head into the lists of new and expiring sales for the day. That will about do it, because I am bound and determined to get hot dinner tonight. Let’s get to the games!

New Releases

Endless Ocean Luminous ($49.99)

endlessoceanluminous.jpg

The latest in Arika’s series of underwater exploration games takes things in a slightly new direction with the multiplayer mode being the star attraction. Explore the Veiled Sea alone or in a group of up to thirty divers online, seeking more than 500 species of marine life. Reviews have been all over the board on this one, but what will we think of this highly unconventional experience? You’ll have to wait for my review to find out.

TriggerHeart EXELICA ($29.99)

triggerheartexelica.jpg

I remember when this game was relatively new in arcades. I guess that was almost twenty years ago. Yikes. Anyway, this Switch conversion features an Arcade Mode, a Story Mode, an Arrange Mode, and a Training Mode. It supports tate/vertical orientation for those who can take advantage of it, and online leaderboards so you can compete for scores with others in the world. A real work of heart (heh), and one that shooter fans will likely want to add to their collections.

Armed and Gelatinous: Couch Edition ($14.99)

armedandgelatinous.jpg

You know what “Couch Edition" means, friends. This is a multiplayer-focused game that only has local multiplayer support. Up to four players can join in at once, engaging in chaotic space blob battles in nine different modes of play. There are sixteen different levels, more than a dozen weapons, a bunch of unlockables, and CPU opponents for those times when you’re flying solo. I’ll be reviewing this one after I get a proper chance to put it through its paces.

Surmount ($14.99)

surmount.jpg

Physics-based mountain climbing up procedurally-generated terrain for one or two players via local multiplayer? Sounds like something that could be fun or horrifying. It sounds like this one is aiming to be accessible for players of all skill levels though, so don’t expect anything like Getting Over It. As you ascend the mountain you’ll meet various characters and unlock new items that will help you with your climb. Some people can’t get enough of these kinds of games, and they don’t come around all that often so you have to treasure them when they do. Here’s hoping it’s as fun as it looks.

Touhou Mystia’s Izakaya ($26.99)

touhoumystiasizakaya.jpg

Here’s the latest Touhou Project game to make its way to the Switch, and this time it’s a restaurant simulation game. Well, an izakaya simulation game. Kind of a traditional Japanese pub. You know how this song goes: collect materials, interact with NPCs, whip up dishes for customers, and profit. You get the base game plus several DLC content packs all in one single purchase here, and it adds up to a surprising amount of stuff to do. Might be what you’re looking for today.

Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse ($14.99)

freddifish2.jpg

Freddi Fish 5: The Case of the Creature of Coral Cove ($14.99)

freddifish5.jpg

I’m not exactly sure why these released in the order they did, but the whole Freddi Fish series is now available on Switch. While they’re obviously different adventures with different puzzles, if you’ve played one game in this series you more or less know how the others will go. Good for the younger set, and for older kids with nostalgia.

MotoGP 24 ($49.99)

motogp24.jpg

This is like the sixth or seventh one of these on the Switch, so by now you probably know very well if they’re your thing or not. Updates this year seem modest at best, and it sure doesn’t seem to be running any better. Someone’s buying these though, and that someone might just be you.

Arcade Archives Rastan Saga ($7.99)

arcadearchivesrastansaga.jpg

Fans of 1980s arcade games will surely recognize this one. Taito’s Rastan Saga rode on the Conan the Barbarian fever of the era with an awesome side-scrolling action game. It was ported to a lot of home machines, and some of you might have played it that way without ever experiencing the arcade original. Well, it’s great. Tough as nails, but you’ve got unlimited coins this time. Big thumbs up for this one.

Sclash ($9.99)

sclash.jpg

This is trying to be fancy but it just isn’t hitting the theme it’s going for properly. Well, no matter. This is a samurai fighting game, and it’s the sort where you need to strike fast and with good timing, because a single slice can end the match. It offers five different playable characters, sixteen stages, a bunch of unlockable skins, and both online and offline multiplayer. Seems like it might be good for some chuckles with the right person.

SOWON: The Toy Wonderland ($8.99)

sowonthetoywonderland.jpg

Something of a puzzle-platformer about a girl who when searching for her missing parents falls into a strange world of toys. She needs to find her way out, and if she can figure out any of the mysteries behind her parents’ disappearance during the course of her adventure, more’s the better. Making progress will require you to solve puzzles, play minigames, and help out the toys you find along the way. It certainly has an interesting look to it, and that might be enough to compel some to investigate it further.

Full Metal Sergeant ($9.99)

fullmetalsergeant.jpg

An odd-looking simulation game where you play as a drill instructor and need to get your recruits in shape within twelve weeks. You have a variety of activities at your disposal, from obstacle course to shooting ranges. You know, I dig this in concept. It’s an interesting idea, and we don’t see enough of this kind of thing on the lower rungs of the eShop these days. I don’t know how well it’s executed, but I appreciate the attempt if nothing else. The Steam version’s reviews seem pretty good, at least.

The Bin Bunch

Ninja Flip ($4.99)

ninjaflip.jpg

Tractor Farming Simulator 3D ($6.99)

tractorfarmingsimulator3d.jpg

Matsutake Game ($3.29)

matsutakegame.jpg

Train Your Brain! Spot the Difference with Dog Photos ($3.99)

trainyourbrainspotthedifferencewithdogphotos.jpg

Hentai Tales Vol. 3 ($3.99)

hentaitalesvol3.jpg

Sales

(North American eShop, US Prices)

Well, maybe you want A Tiny Sticker Tale? Otherwise, I’m hard-pressed to find much in the inbox worth recommending. Over in the outbox, we’ve got the Class of Heroes games and some good puzzlers wrapping up their latest discounts. Check those lists, it’s not a terribly arduous task today.

Select New Sales

atinystickertale.jpg

A Tiny Sticker Tale ($6.99 from $9.99 until 5/8)
Pretty Princess Magical Garden Island ($23.99 from $39.99 until 5/11)
Pups & Purrs Pet Shop ($23.99 from $39.99 until 5/11)
Valthirian Arc Hero School Story 2 ($13.39 from $19.99 until 5/15)
Archetype Arcadia ($22.49 from $29.99 until 5/15)
The Dragoness: Command of the Flame ($12.59 from $17.99 until 5/15)
Die After Sunset ($14.99 from $19.99 until 5/15)
Big Adventure: Trip to Europe 4 ($4.49 from $14.99 until 5/21)
Twin Mind: Ghost Hunter CE ($7.49 from $14.99 until 5/21)
All I Want for Christmas are Subgames CE ($6.99 from $9.99 until 5/21)
Connect Hearts: Full Moon Curse CE ($10.49 from $14.99 until 5/21)
Connected Hearts: Fortunate Play CE ($10.49 from $14.99 until 5/21)
Mystery Box: Evolution ($6.99 from $9.99 until 5/21)
Mystery Box: Escape the Room ($6.99 from $9.99 until 5/21)
Mystery Box: The Journey ($6.99 from $9.99 until 5/21)
Stories in Glass: Winter ($6.99 from $9.99 until 5/21)
Suicide Guy: The Lost Dreams ($4.79 from $7.99 until 5/22)
Farmyard Haven ($4.23 from $5.29 until 5/22)
BookyPets Legends ($9.99 from $19.99 until 5/22)
Art of Glide ($3.29 from $4.39 until 5/22)

Sales Ending Tomorrow, May 3rd

agoodsnowmanishardtobuild.jpg

A Good Snowman is Hard to Build ($3.74 from $14.99 until 5/3)
A Monster’s Expedition ($12.49 from $24.99 until 5/3)
Barbie DreamHouse Adventures ($23.99 from $39.99 until 5/3)
Bonfire Peaks ($9.99 from $19.99 until 5/3)
Class of Heroes 1 & 2: CE ($31.49 from $34.99 until 5/3)
Class of Heroes 2G: RE ($17.99 from $19.99 until 5/3)
Class of Heroes: AE ($17.99 from $19.99 until 5/3)
Cosmic Express ($3.74 from $14.99 until 5/3)
Evil Nun: The Broken Mask ($13.99 from $19.99 until 5/3)
Outer Terror ($7.99 from $9.99 until 5/3)
Patrick’s Parabox ($13.99 from $19.99 until 5/3)
Raptor Boyfriend ($5.59 from $13.99 until 5/3)
Robolt ($2.49 from $4.99 until 5/3)
Sokobond ($3.74 from $14.99 until 5/3)
Swapshot ($2.99 from $4.99 until 5/3)
TORINTO ($2.49 from $4.99 until 5/3)
Until the Last Plane ($3.99 form $9.99 until 5/3)
Virus Rush ($1.99 from $7.99 until 5/3)

That’s all for today, friends. We’ll be back tomorrow to look at the remaining releases of the week, such as they are, and whatever sales and major news items that roll in over the course of the next day. It was another long day today, but I think I’m going to sneak in a little gaming time after I get home anyway. You know, if I don’t fall asleep and drop my Switch on my face. Again. I hope you all have a thrilling Thursday, and as always, thanks for reading!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Users who are viewing this thread