SwitchArcade Round-Up: ‘UDO’, ‘Harpoon Shooter! Nozomi’, Plus Today’s Other Releases, News, and Sales

TouchArcade

iPhone Gaming
iPhone Gaming
Hello gentle readers, and welcome to the SwitchArcade Round-Up for February 1st, 2024. It’s Thursday, and that means we have a bunch of games to look at. Nothing really jumps out significantly, but there is a good assortment of titles here to consider. Our pal Mikhail also has some news for us to enjoy, and we’ve got the usual lists of new and expiring sales to close out the proceedings for the day. Let’s start things off with Mikhail’s news report!

News

All Aksys Winter 2024 Announcements: Tokyo Xanadu eX+ (Finally!), Otome, and More

Aksys Games just had its newest All Aksys event showcasing new titles and updates on existing titles for Switch, PS5, PS4, and PC. This month, Aksys has Spirit Hunter Death Mark II coming out on PS5, Switch, and Steam which I will be reviewing. Barring updates on existing titles like that, the highlights are Tokyo Xanadu eX+ finally getting confirmed for the West. Falcom’s action RPG debuted on PS Vita before seeing enhanced PS4 and Steam releases. The enhanced port is coming to Switch this June in the West. Aksys is even doing a 4CD soundtrack sold exclusively on its online store.

tokyo-xanadu-ex-plus-switch-english-release-date.jpg

Out of the other reveals, Aksys has Despera Drops from
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
coming to Switch in 2025, Radiant Tale Fanfare (the fandisc) coming this summer to Switch, Tales from Toyotoki: Arrival of the Witch coming this summer to Switch and PS5, Virche Evermore -EpiC: Lycoris- coming to Switch this Fall, and updates on existing titles like Blazing Strike (Switch, PS5, and PS4), Tengoku Struggle -Strayside- (Switch on April 4th), and more.

The showcase ended up being really great, and you can expect reviews from us for almost all the titles coming to Switch. I’m glad I didn’t import Tokyo Xanadu eX+ last month from Japan. I need to get the four CD soundtrack for it.

New Releases

CEIBA ($9.99)

ceiba.jpg

A sci-fi visual novel about a society where work that is deemed to dangerous for humans is instead carried out by artificial organisms called Artifites. The protagonist of the story is one such Artifite, and he’s on a long expedition with no clear end in sight. As such, his thoughts have turned to romance. The woman who has caught his eye is by no means normal, and the road to developing their relationship will not be an easy one. This one comes from the same author as Athanasy, so if you enjoyed that one you might want to check this out.

UDO: Unidentified Drilling Object ($14.99)

udounidentifieddrillingobjects.jpg

With Downwell, Shovel Knight Dig, and now this game, I think we can safely say that digging roguelites are officially a sub-genre. Like those previously mentioned games, this one is all about digging down into procedurally generated tunnels. The deeper you dig, the more upgrades and powers you’ll find. Your drill is surprisingly versatile, and learning the different ways it can be used will be the key to your ultimate survival. If you dig digging like I dig digging, you might want to dig into this one and see what turns up.

Arcade Archives Silk Worm ($7.99)

arcadearchivessilkworm.jpg

Tecmo’s rather creative horizontal shooter is this week’s Arcade Archives title. It’s a fun game to play by yourself, but it’s outstanding with another player. The reason is that there are two vehicles, and each player uses one of them. You have to cover each other’s weak points if you want to succeed, and that’s a cool dynamic we don’t see a lot in this genre. The home versions on various consoles and computers were probably more popular than this arcade original, but it’s well worth checking out if you like the genre and have a friend you can pull in.

Harpoon Shooter! Nozomi ($9.98)

harpoonshooternozomi.jpg

A horizontal shooter about a girl with a harpoon and the intent to use it. You have an array of standard shots, but the signature skill here is your ability to harpoon enemies and pull them in to deal some heavy damage to them. It has vibrant visuals and there are even some mini-games in here to mix things up if you need a break. Collect the cash enemies drop and pick up some nifty power-ups to beef up your arsenal. Really good fun, this one. Shoot-em-up fans, take notice.

Teppo and The Secret Ancient City ($7.99)

teppoandthesecretancientcity.jpg

A platforming action game where you play as a treasure hunter named Teppo as he explores the Amazon Jungle for a mythical stone fortress. What he finds might be more than he initially bargained for. Grab all the gems, watch out for the traps, and see if you can discover the truth behind this mysterious ancient ruin. Seems fine for what it is.

Knights of Braveland ($19.99)

knightsofbraveland.jpg

A beat-em-up with roguelite elements, which is something I could see appealing quite a bit to some. The stages here are more like arenas, so don’t expect to be going on some big belt-scrolling adventure or anything. The gameplay is a little stiff, and I feel like the beat-em-up genre is a bit too competitive at this stage to try to wade in at this price point with anything less than the best. It’s decent fun with other players, and it supports up to four via local multiplayer, but really, what game in this genre isn’t decent fun with friends? I might sound a little down on this game (and I am), but there are lots of people who enjoyed it over on Steam. Maybe you’ll like it more than I did.

Defense Master ($14.99)

defensemaster.jpg

This looks like a quirky one. Waves of enemies appear from the right of the screen, and you have to take them down however you can. Pretty basic castle defense set-up, but this one has a lot of unusual characters and weapons to make it stand out a little. Does it stand out enough to command that kind of price tag? An exercise best left to the reader, I suppose.

Japanese Escape Games The Police Office ($9.99)

japaneseescapegamesthepoliceoffice.jpg

After being detained for causing a drunken disturbance, you wake up in your cell the next morning to find that the door is open and the entire police station appears to be abandoned. You might be out of your cell, but you have to find your way out of the building itself. It’s no easy feat, but I have faith in you. Anyway, another one of these straightforward escape room games. You know what to expect by now, I’m sure.

Piggy Gambit ($7.99)

piggygambit.jpg

An oddly charming little strategy puzzler about a pig who travels to the Chess Kingdom to discover the meaning of life. Well, I’ve heard worse plans before. This game is a little bit chess puzzles, and a little bit Sokoban-style crate puzzles. Sometimes you’ll need to use tools to get where you need to go, sometimes you’ll need to act directly on a chess piece, and sometimes you’ll need to use other chess pieces to set off chain reactions. Pretty cool game. Plus, it has a cute little pig scribble character.

Carry Onward ($4.99)

carryonward.jpg

This isn’t even the only game we have today that examines grief, but it’s probably the heavier of the two. A man named Thomas is packing up the house he once shared with his wife, and you’ll join him on this short journey. You’ll make choices at certain points in the story, and those decisions will lead to one of five different endings.

Graveyard Girls ($5.99)

graveyardgirls.jpg

Curious timing for a Halloween-themed visual novel, but here we are. A grieving young woman visits her father’s grave on Halloween, and she happens to meet another woman while she’s there. An unusual relationship forms from the grief each of them carries. Perhaps what they really needed was another person to listen? Anyway, it’s one of those stories. You might be in the mood for it, or you might not be. I leave it up to you.

Avaris 3 ($35.00)

avaris3.jpg

This is a real-time strategy game with one very big gimmick going for it: battles can contain up to twelve thousands units moving around and fighting independently. This is the third game in a series that goes back a couple of decades, and unlike with some of this publisher’s other releases, and English option has been provided. I don’t know too much about it beyond that, but it certainly has a following over on PCs. Might be worth investigating.

The Bin Bunch

Candy Shake Cup ($3.99)

candyshakecup.jpg

Sales

(North American eShop, US Prices)

The big news in the new batch today is the sale on the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster games. All six games are individually discounted, and those who just want to rip off the bandage can buy the pack of all six at a very reasonable price. You know you’re going to buy them all eventually anyway. Eastward is also having a sale, likely to celebrate its new add-on DLC’s arrival. Not too much going on in the outbox, but you might as well check it too. You’re already here, after all.

Select New Sales

tinydragonstory.jpg

Tiny Dragon Story ($1.99 from $12.99 until 2/7)
Fluffy Horde ($1.99 from $9.99 until 2/7)
To Leave ($1.99 from $19.99 until 2/7)
EleMetals Deluxe Edition ($1.99 from $13.19 until 2/7)
Gum+ ($1.99 from $7.99 until 2/7)
Carbage ($1.99 from $14.99 until 2/7)
Floogen ($1.99 from $3.99 until 2/7)
Isle of Jura Fishing Trip ($1.99 from $13.99 until 2/7)
Cat Tales ($1.99 from $19.99 until 2/7)
Cave of Past Sorrows ($1.99 from $14.99 until 2/7)
Miniland Adventure ($8.79 from $10.99 until 2/8)
Speed Crew ($11.99 from $19.99 until 2/8)
DNF Duel: Who’s Next ($19.99 from $49.99 until 2/12)
HunterX ($7.49 from $14.99 until 2/14)

finalfantasyvipixelremaster.jpg

Final Fantasy I-VI Collection ($59.99 from $74.99 until 2/15)
Final Fantasy ($9.59 from $11.99 until 2/15)
Final Fantasy II ($9.59 from $11.99 until 2/15)
Final Fantasy III ($14.39 from $17.99 until 2/15)
Final Fantasy IV ($14.39 from $17.99 until 2/15)
Final Fantasy V ($14.39 from $17.99 until 2/15)
Final Fantasy VI ($14.39 from $17.99 until 2/15)
Eastward ($14.99 from $24.99 until 2/15)
Worldless ($15.99 from $19.99 until 2/15)
Othello ($1.99 from $4.99 until 2/15)
Boost Beast ($1.99 from $9.99 until 2/15)
Gotcha Racing 2nd ($3.99 from $9.99 until 2/15)
Mononoke Slashdown ($4.19 from $6.99 until 2/15)
Of Mice and Sand Revised ($4.99 from $9.99 until 2/15)
Inferno Climber Reborn ($3.49 from $13.99 until 2/15)
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R ($3.74 from $14.99 until 2/15)
Eat Beat Deadspike-San ($4.19 from $6.99 until 2/15)
Godstrike ($1.99 from $14.99 until 2/21)
The Rumble Fish + ($7.19 from $7.99 until 2/21)
Tyrant’s Blessing ($1.99 from $19.99 until 2/21)
One More Island ($1.99 from $19.99 until 2/21)

Sales Ending Tomorrow, February 2nd

dungeonsanddoomknights.jpg

AdventureQuest: Dungeons & Doomknights ($14.99 from $19.99 until 2/2)
Anime Girls: Highschool of Dead ($3.99 from $7.99 until 2/2)
Construction Simulator 2 US ($6.99 from $19.99 until 2/2)
Cyber Shadow ($11.99 from $19.99 until 2/2)
Fluffy Milo ($2.99 from $4.99 until 2/2)
Hyper-5 ($5.99 from $9.99 until 2/2)
Kitten Hero ($3.99 from $4.99 until 2/2)
LASERPITIUM ($8.99 from $14.99 until 2/2)
Pixel Cafe ($6.49 from $12.99 until 2/2)
Rooftop Renegade ($8.99 from $17.99 until 2/2)
SETTRIS ($3.49 from $4.99 until 2/2)
Slime Rancher: Plortable ($12.49 from $24.99 until 2/2)
SUPERHOT ($9.99 from $24.99 until 2/2)
What The Duck ($9.99 from $19.99 until 2/2)

That’s all for today, friends. We’ll be back tomorrow to look at the remaining releases for the week, plus whatever sales and news items pop up during the next twenty-four hours. It’s incredibly windy here today. It’s actually making the walls shake. This kind of weather is always fun because if a small earthquake happens it’s actually hard for me to notice. I hope you all have a thrilling Thursday, and as always, thanks for reading!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Users who are viewing this thread