SwitchArcade Round-Up: Reviews Featuring ‘Touken Ranbu Warriors’ and ‘Biomotor Unitron’, Plus Today’s Releases and Sales

TouchArcade

iPhone Gaming
iPhone Gaming
Hello gentle readers, and welcome to the SwitchArcade Round-Up for May 31st, 2022. In today’s article, we’ve got a few reviews for you. Koei Tecmo’s Touken Ranbu Warriors, ININ Games’ Wonder Boy Collection, and SNK’s Biomotor Unitron all slide into the chair of judgement to receive their just desserts. We’ve got a few new releases to look at, though almost all of them are MAXIMUM DUBIOUS. Finally, sales. They exist. They are not plentiful. We have the lists anyway for you to consider. Let’s get to it!

Reviews

Touken Ranbu Warriors ($59.99)

toukenranbuwarriors.jpg

I know of Touken Ranbu, but only a little bit. Something of a Kantai Collection for the other side of the aisle, it’s a card game that envisions legendary swords as handsome young men. It has been a roaring success, but I don’t think it’s controversial to say that its primary audience and the players of Koei Tecmo’s Warriors games probably don’t have a lot of overlap.

Perhaps owing to that, Touken Ranbu Warriors appears to have been carefully designed to appeal to players who not only haven’t touched a Warriors game before, but perhaps haven’t even played many action games. It includes difficulty options we haven’t seen before in any Warriors games, to the best of my knowledge, allowing just about anyone to make their way through the game with very little effort. If you would prefer a more standard Warriors experience, you can simply play the game with normal difficulty settings and get something more akin to what you’re used to.

toukenranbuwarriors2.jpg

With my lack of intimate familiarity with Touken Ranbu, I must regretfully report that the story and characters just kind of slid off the wall for me. I love the character designs and I can get the gist of each handsome sword-boy’s personality, but despite Koei Tecmo’s solid attempt at setting up the world I still couldn’t get terribly invested in the narrative. And while you can set the difficulty to normal, there’s no doubt that the overall design of this game leans towards the simpler side. That may appeal to you, or it may not. I will say that series veterans may want to hold off a few weeks for Fire Emblem: Three Hopes.

Touken Ranbu Warriors looks good, runs well, and its core gameplay offers the solid action the Warriors franchise is well-known for. Care has been taken to ensure the game can by enjoyed by as many fans of the Touken Ranbu franchise as possible, and that makes it a great fit for anyone with an interest in the IP. It’s also not a bad choice for those who want to get into a Warriors game but have found previous releases to be a little too complicated. Aiming for that target may cost the interest of more experienced fans of this style of game, but it’s not like there aren’t plenty of options for them already.

SwitchArcade Score: 3.5/5

Wonder Boy Collection ($29.99)

wonderboycollection.jpg

What a bizarre pickle this collection leaves us in. So many asterisks to consider. I suppose I should start with what this is. It’s a set of four classic Wonder Boy games and includes the arcade version of Wonder Boy, the arcade version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land, the Genesis version of Wonder Boy in Monster World, and the Genesis title Monster World IV. It’s all done up in the usual Ratalaika emulation front end, seen before in all kinds of retro re-releases like Turrican Flashback, Panorama Cotton, Gynoug, and Clockwork Aquario. Largely the same extra features and options, and with a familiar interface.

Four good-to-excellent classic games with a solid set of features should be the easiest thing in the world to recommend, and the bottom line is that I do think this is a nice package in a vacuum. But let’s talk about those asterisks to see if they’re relevant to you. The first thing to address is the Wonder Boy Anniversary Collection being offered by Strictly Limited Games. It has everything this does and a whole lot more, with extra games and an absurd amount of console variants. It’s a far more complete package, and while it is about double the price and thus far physical-only, it’s worth acknowledging. But it’s not going to be shipping for a good while, and there’s no word on if a digital release of this more complete package will happen or not.

wonderboycollection2.jpg

The other thing to address is how much of this set is already available in some form or another on Switch already. The arcade version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land is available through the Switch SEGA AGES line by M2, and it’s definitely a better overall package of options and extras. You may already own it. On top of that, if you picked up the physical version of Monster World IV‘s remake, Asha in Monster World, then you already have access to the Genesis Monster World IV. As for the original Wonder Boy, the slightly dubious Wonder Boy Returns Remix covers a lot of the same ground. There is a high chance that if you’re interested enough in Wonder Boy to want this kind of set, you already own three-quarters of it on this console.

Setting aside considerations of overlap with other releases and a more complete version coming down the line, Wonder Boy Collection is a fine set. The original game has a lot of charm even now, Monster Land‘s ambition is admirable, Monster World is an excellent action-adventure, and Monster World IV is one of the better late-era Genesis games. As dull as the usual interface is, I can’t argue with the suite of features it offers. Please apply your own circumstances as needed, but taking Wonder Boy Collection for what it is, it’s well-worth the price of admission.

SwitchArcade Score: 4/5

Biomotor Unitron ($7.99)

biomotorunitron.jpg

Now that SNK has knocked out most of the fighting games in its NEOGEO Pocket Color library with its line-up of Switch ports, we’re starting to see some of the more unusual and interesting titles the ill-fated handheld had to offer. Today, we’re looking at Biomotor Unitron, the system’s first (and one of its few) role-playing game. Keeping in mind the time period that the NEOGEO Pocket Color existed in, it’s probably no surprise that Biomotor Unitron was heavily influenced by the 800-pound Pikachu in the corner of the room.

In this game, you’re a young warrior who seeks to become the best, like no one ever was. To pilot Unitrons is your real test, to upgrade them is your cause. You swing into a new town, get a bit of story context, and are more or less left to progress as you see fit along two different kinds of activity. There’s an Arena where you can participate in tournaments to upgrade your rank and eventually become the champ. There are also four dungeons you can visit, with procedurally-generated layouts and lots of loot and baddies to deal with. Beat the four dungeons, and a fifth one will open. Finish that, and you’ve won the game. Battling monsters will increase your pilot’s level and give you some cash. You can use the cash and any parts you recover to upgrade your Unitron while you’re in town.

biomotorunitron2.jpg

The upgrade system is where most of the game’s depth comes into play. There are a lot of options here, and you’ll need to consider enemy weaknesses in your builds depending on what you’re doing. The Arena tournaments especially need you to come up with decent strategies and build your Unitron in a way to follow through on them. You really need to get into this to enjoy Biomotor Unitron. The story is barely there, the procedurally-generated dungeons are a bit dull to explore, and the amount of grinding required is certainly on the heavier side. The game only takes about ten hours to finish, but it can feel quite long if you aren’t enjoying tinkering with your robot.

Code Mystics has handled this version of Biomotor Unitron with its usual level of quality. All the same features, all of the same flaws, but overall the best official way to play this game. This is a simple, straightforward RPG in most respects, with an interesting customization system to keep you engaged. In modern times it may be too limited and grindy for some, but if you like the idea of slowly cobbling together a killer mech to take the top spot, Biomotor Unitron may be of interest to you.

SwitchArcade Score: 3.5/5

New Releases

Shishi: Timeless Prelude ($9.99)

shishitimelessprelude.jpg

This is an RPG where you play as a rather large head on a pair of tiny feet or something. It’s ghastly. You explore a dungeon and engage in turn-based battles with enemies. If you can get around the bizarre look of the main character, this seems fine enough.

Hentai: Make Love Not War ($2.49)

hentaimakelovenotwar.png

I guess Hentai Uni went over well, because here’s Big Way back with another dose of the same thing. Virtually mindless tile-swapping puzzles you can play one-handed, and some mildly lewd pictures of girls to reward you for your hard work. Do what you will.

Tricky Doors (Free)

trickydoors.jpg

A room escape game that sells consumable coins and keys as a means of monetization. The Switch is positively drenched in decent room escape games at reasonable prices, and I recommend grabbing literally any one of those over getting involved with this kind of nonsense.

Sales

(North American eShop, US Prices)

Well, not much of anything too exciting in the new sales. The Kingdom Rush games are fun. More chances to get Pinball FX3 tables on the cheap before the new version hits. In the outbox, pay some heed to the outgoing Natsume sales as they don’t have them often. Wild Guns Reloaded. I will bang that drum forever. Mind that Pac-Man 99 DLC too, as I doubt we’ll see another sale on it until Pac’s birthday next year at the very best. Another drum: Super Cyborg. Should you like Contra, you’ll like Super Cyborg.

Select New Games on Sale

kingdomrush.jpg

Kingdom Rush ($4.99 from $9.99 until 6/6)
Kingdom Rush Frontiers ($4.99 from $9.99 until 6/6)
Kingdom Rush Origins ($7.49 from $14.99 until 6/6)
Pinball FX3 Balls of Glory DLC ($3.39 from $9.99 until 6/6)
Pinball FX3 Jurassic World DLC ($3.99 from $9.99 until 6/6)
Brawl Chess ($1.99 from $9.99 until 6/6)
Firework ($5.99 from $14.99 until 6/6)
Monument ($1.99 from $7.00 until 6/6)
Gibbous A Cthulhu Adventure ($4.99 from $19.99 until 6/7)
Weaving Tides ($14.99 from $24.99 until 6/7)

chessgambit.jpg

Chess Gambit ($2.99 from $6.99 until 6/20)
Blazing Beaks ($2.09 from $14.99 until 6/20)
Dex ($1.99 from $19.99 until 6/20)
Chex Quest HD ($2.49 from $4.99 until 6/20)
Moorhuhn Wanted ($5.59 from $6.99 until 6/20)
Rimelands: Hammer of Thor ($1.99 from $9.99 until 6/20)
Cooking Simulator Pizza ($10.49 from $14.99 until 6/20)
Death’s Hangover ($1.99 from $4.99 until 6/20)
Jet Kave Adventure ($1.99 from $19.99 until 6/20)

Sales Ending Tomorrow, Wednesday, June 1st

ariettaofspirits.jpg

Arietta of Spirits ($12.99 from $19.99 until 6/1)
Atomicrops ($5.99 from $14.99 until 6/1)
Back to Bed ($1.99 from $4.99 until 6/1)
Batu Ta Batu ($1.99 from $4.99 until 6/1)
Blaze & the Monster Machines ($15.99 from $39.99 until 6/1)
Castle of Pixel Skulls ($1.99 from $4.99 until 6/1)
ConnecTank ($14.99 from $29.99 until 6/1)
Dimension Drive ($1.99 from $12.99 until 6/1)
Fast & Furious Spy Racers ($23.99 from $39.99 until 6/1)
FPV Simulator ($3.99 from $7.99 until 6/1)
Gibbon: Beyond the Trees ($10.04 from $14.99 until 6/1)
Harvest Moon: Light of Hope SE ($19.99 from $39.99 until 6/1)
Harvest Moon: Mad Dash ($9.99 from $19.99 until 6/1)
Harvest Moon: One World ($37.49 from $49.99 until 6/1)
Inferno 2 ($1.99 from $4.99 until 6/1)

jacknhat.jpg

Jack ‘n’ Hat ($3.99 from $7.99 until 6/1)
Kubi Adventures ($2.09 from $2.99 until 6/1)
Lost Wing ($1.99 from $7.99 until 6/1)
Luckslinger ($3.49 from $9.99 until 6/1)
Lumini ($1.99 from $9.99 until 6/1)
Magic Code ($2.49 from $12.48 until 6/1)
Mini Car Racing 2 ($2.39 from $5.99 until 6/1)
MLB The Show 22 ($39.99 from $59.99 until 6/1)
MLB The Show 22 Digital Deluxe ($59.99 from $99.99 until 6/1)
My Friend Peppa Pig ($23.99 from $39.99 until 6/1)
New Terra ($19.99 from $24.99 until 6/1)
P.3 ($1.99 from $4.99 until 6/1)
Pac-Man 99 Deluxe ($14.99 from $29.99 until 6/1)
Pac-Man 99 Mode Unlock ($7.49 from $14.99 until 6/1)
Racing Karts ($2.99 from $4.99 until 6/1)

rainswept.jpg

Rainswept ($1.99 from $9.99 until 6/1)
Raji: An Ancient Epic ($8.49 from $24.99 until 6/1)
Rattyvity Lab ($1.99 from $2.49 until 6/1)
Simple Mini Golf ($1.99 from $3.49 until 6/1)
Skautfold: Shrouded in Sanity ($6.49 from $9.99 until 6/1)
Super Cyborg ($3.98 from $6.99 until 6/1)
TENS! ($1.99 from $9.99 until 6/1)
The Addams Family: Mansion Mayhem ($23.99 from $39.99 until 6/1)
The Bug Butcher ($1.99 from $7.99 until 6/1)
Wild Guns Reloaded ($9.99 from $19.99 until 6/1)
Zoids Wild Blast Unleashed ($9.99 from $39.99 until 6/1)

That’s all for today and this month, friends. If this week seems a bit quiet so far, don’t worry. The next few days are going to be absolutely bananas. Even tomorrow has something like five new releases, which is a lot for a Wednesday. I hope you all have a tremendous Tuesday, and as always, thanks for reading!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Users who are viewing this thread