Your Lumia Instagramer of the Month: Mark Vella

Windows

Windows
Today we announce the winner of our latest
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
. Were you one of the five hopeful winners? Did you cast a vote? Let’s find out who won.

With five very talented Lumia photographers for you to choose from, picking just one was no easy feat. But you did, and the winner is:

Mark Vella – AKA

Mark-Vella-1024x496.jpg

Let’s find out more about the man behind the Lumia.

Which Lumia do you have and what do you like most about it?

I currently own the

For me, the most important factor when deciding on a phone is the hardware design. I love the curved glass, the shape, even the two little screws located on the bottom of the device. Three years on from its initial release and it’s still a great-looking phone.

The Windows phone operating system compliments the exterior nicely with its square Live Tiles and has redefined my expectations when it comes to software.

What are your top tips for taking
photos on your Lumia?

In my opinion, there are three main things to consider: timing, composition, and editing.

Lighting is vital when taking a photo, whether there’s plenty or little of it; you need to find the right balance. The same scene can look completely different at various times of the day.

Sunset in particular can give some nice light to a scene, which is why people refer to it as the “
“. That doesn’t mean you should always use the sunset to light your photos, some cloud formations can enhance a photo greatly.

Once you’ve found yourself at the right place and the right time you need to consider composition. For example, is something obstructing the subject, would the shot look better from a slightly different angle, or how would this look if that shadow fell slightly to the left? You must “arrange” all the items in the picture.

Editing is important to give a photo a little more polish before you upload it for the world to see.

Experiment with your photos. Trying new effects can lead to unexpectedly good results. Didn’t like one of your photos? Don’t discount it, try editing it in a different way, you may soon love it.

Which Lumia Instagramers do you recommend everyone should follow?

Selecting only a few isn’t easy, as there are so many good Lumia photographers out there. Based on color, composition, lighting, and generally having a good eye for a photograph, I’d recommend the following:

Let’s check out some of Mark’s favorite photographs, captured with his Lumia 920.

Congratulations to Mark Vella (
) on winning this edition of Lumia Instagramer of the month, and thanks for taking such wonderful photos using his Lumia.

Has this contest inspired you to get creative with your Lumia? Follow Mark’s advice, take some photos, and upload them to Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag
– we’re looking forward to seeing your photos.

Users who are viewing this thread